• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment After Lift / Tires Question

Ghetto2315

NAXJA Forum User
I am at school in CT with my 94 XJ. The lift components are here with me and I was going to install this week, but I will be driving back home to NJ for a doctors appointment, and more importantly, picking up my new BFG tires. I am sure I will need to get an alignment after I install my lift, right?

Here is my question. Do I really need to get an alignment after I put on my new BFG tires? I am running 30x9.50x15 tires now and the new BFG tires are the same size. If I do not need an alignment after I put on my tires, then I would drive back to CT safely, install the lift with the new BFG tires already on and get a new alignment all at once.

Or should I get an alignment after I put on the tires, and then another alignment after I put on the lift??

Obviously, I would prefer to get one alignment after the lift and tires are on, but I dont want to jeapordize my safety of myself or my XJ if I need an alignment after my tires before the drive back to CT. I'd rather pay for the 2 seperate alignments

Thanks for taking the time to read!

One alignment is all you need, after the lift, and that should only be to center your steering wheel. Your alignment will not change with tires.

Tyres make no difference to the alignment on a solid axle. You will need to adjust both the toe in, caster and steering wheel postion after the lift. Just do it yourself and then you will know it is all done correctly and right.
See my site for the details. www.go.jeep-xj.info

Gojeep said:
Tyres make no difference to the alignment on a solid axle. You will need to adjust both the toe in, caster and steering wheel postion after the lift. Just do it yourself and then you will know it is all done correctly and right.
See my site for the details. www.go.jeep-xj.info

I completely agree!!
that is a good site as well as method of shade tree wheel allignment!!

I did this after a recent lift on my MJ. I went from 2" to 5+ and alligned myself with a tape measure. My caster setting was balls on and I was able to get the tow in set at +1/8" and the wheel realitively striaght. (Gave up after going back and forth three times!)

That was three weeks ago, i got it alligned today, drives MUCH better!!!

CW

Ghetto2315 said:
I am at school in CT with my 94 XJ. The lift components are here with me and I was going to install this week, but I will be driving back home to NJ for a doctors appointment, and more importantly, picking up my new BFG tires. I am sure I will need to get an alignment after I install my lift, right?

Here is my question. Do I really need to get an alignment after I put on my new BFG tires? I am running 30x9.50x15 tires now and the new BFG tires are the same size. If I do not need an alignment after I put on my tires, then I would drive back to CT safely, install the lift with the new BFG tires already on and get a new alignment all at once.

Or should I get an alignment after I put on the tires, and then another alignment after I put on the lift??

Obviously, I would prefer to get one alignment after the lift and tires are on, but I dont want to jeapordize my safety of myself or my XJ if I need an alignment after my tires before the drive back to CT. I'd rather pay for the 2 seperate alignments

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Why would new tires change anything at all about the alignment?

Nine Mile said:
Why would new tires change anything at all about the alignment?
Theoretically they shouldnt, but I know everytime that I went to buy new tires they always asked me if I wanted an alignment.

The only reason to need an alignment after tires is that your previous set wore poorly do to needing an alignment. Depending on the lift and components you install there will be more or less reason to do the alignment, usually you will need to at minimum recenter your steering wheel, but you will want to check your toe (should be 0 - no toe in & no toe out) you will also want to check your caster should be 5* to 7* and if you are not installing adjustable control arms you can only correct that with jeep caster shims (they can be hard to locate and come in at least two sizes), that act on the back of the lower control arm bracket. HTH
Daniel

joecool said:
Theoretically they shouldnt, but I know everytime that I went to buy new tires they always asked me if I wanted an alignment.

Only to ensure that you don't wear them out in 10K miles. Tires change nothing about the suspension/steering angles.

Back