• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Operating ARBs with valves instead of swicthes??

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I've got an ARB rear locker that should go in this week or next. I've also got JohnBuuu's old ARB compressor. It's fairly antiquated and I can't figure out the mess of a wiring harness that I have for it. What I was thinking was to get like a 1-2 gallon tank made out of some sort of tubing(al or steel, which one you guys recommend?) so that it would sit up under the floor next to the rear DS opposite the muffler and not kill any interior room. Then run the ARB compressor into that with a pressure switch for the tank(i.e. the compressor would cut off at like 85 psi and I'd have a guage to indicate pressure in the tank incase leakage becomes a factor). Then simply run my ARB locker lines(front to come in the future) to the tank and have a valve to open when they need to be pressurized and close to disengage. I have two questions. Is there any problem with this THEORY, and am I missing anything that would prevent this from becoming reality? Basically I'm just trying to eliminate as much complication as possible and make it simple and reliable. Thanks

Ary

How would you let the air out of the locker?The factory solenoids bleed off the air once turned off!

Yep, you would need a way to blead the air from the line between the manual valve and the air locker. This could easily be handled by another manual valve. Close the bleed off valve and open the valve from the air tank to the locker to engage. The opposite to disengage.

That being said, I would go with electric valves myself. It makes a neater install if you ask me. Just throw away the harness you have and wire it up yourself.

HTH,
B-loose

Last edited:
The solenoid valves are normally non-passing three way valves...at rest the valve vents to atmosphere from the operated device and "holds back" from the pressure source...when electrically activated, the scenario reverses and supplies pressure to the operated device...good for a zillion operational cycles as long as CLEAN, DRY air, co2, nitrogen or other acceptable gasses are used..be sure to use a small filter on the exhaust port to keep dirt from sneaking in that way :)

you could get a mini -pneumatic switch from grainger

its how I done in My Mj

use a york compresor for OBA i get a litle toggle pneumatic
switch from grainger
it cost 35 bucks and had 3 holes for conection

1 in
1 out
1 exaust

i get a quick air pressure switch from 80 - 115

and use a litlle 2 glons tank this way i be able to use 50 times my D30 arb until the compresor will working again to reffill de tank

Back