• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regearing and i need locker advise

xtrememtbiker85

NAXJA Forum User
After searching i know alot of people run detriots, ezlockers, arb's and ox. I am keeping my 8.25 in my 95 xj for now but i am regearing to 4:56 for 33" tires. I have learned that this is the best all around wheeling gasmilage gear and tire setup. I also want to lock the rear when i install the rear gears. I will be pulling my front ds and doing the rears first until i can afford front gears and a complete install kit.

I already bought the rear gears but i still need the complete install kit. I am also going to do the 29 spline shaft upgrade at the same time so its time to go to the bone yard for those.

what rear locker should i run for my DD year round with icy/snow winters? Cheap too.

After getting my rear gears in i will save for the front 4:56 gears w/ complete install kit (axle seals and pinion seals leak badly) and i will be adding an sye and xj front drive shaft. Then I will lift it up to 5".

xtrememtbiker85 said:
...I am also going to do the 29 spline shaft upgrade at the same time so its time to go to the bone yard for those...

For this you need a 29-spline carrier also. So one option is to buy a locker that replaces the carrier, like ARB or Detroit. (No OX for the 8.25). Those aren't the cheapest lockers but I honestly love my ARBs and will recommend them to anyone. I feel they are worth the added cost, even though its about the same as the Detroit so long as you already have an air compressor setup.

Whats a detroit run usually? I figured i would get a locker that replaces the carrier. I originally wanted a spool but noone makes on for the 8.25. so something that will unlock will be better any way b/c of all the pavement driving i do. Is a limited slip worth it?or a stock limited slip?

Not sure since I haven't bought a Detroit. Just look around.

I will tell you that you can usually get ARB's for cheaper than what they are advertised for because ARB mandates they be advertised at a certain price. Back a few years when I bought mine, it was $620 from Rusty's shipped.

Keep dreaming on that one.... ARB doesn't leave much room for retailers to make much money. good luck finding them for much less than MAP pricing.

your options are either a new carrier... $$$ouch$$$ with a no-slip. but that combo is more expensive than just going with a detriot almost. or pony up the extra coin for the good ol ARB. tried and true and reliable. but not cheap. don't forget the extra couple of bones for the compressor and the extra labor to install it.
EricsXJ said:
Not sure since I haven't bought a Detroit. Just look around.

I will tell you that you can usually get ARB's for cheaper than what they are advertised for because ARB mandates they be advertised at a certain price. Back a few years when I bought mine, it was $620 from Rusty's shipped.

Rawbrown said:
Keep dreaming on that one.... ARB doesn't leave much room for retailers to make much money. good luck finding them for much less than MAP pricing.

your options are either a new carrier... $$$ouch$$$ with a no-slip. but that combo is more expensive than just going with a detriot almost. or pony up the extra coin for the good ol ARB. tried and true and reliable. but not cheap. don't forget the extra couple of bones for the compressor and the extra labor to install it.

Have you seen the Auburn electric lock yet? Pricing looks resonable, but I haven't seen any reports on it yet. I've heard it's much better than the Detroit Electrac as far as warranties, but haven't found anyone running it yet.

I have 2 on order. for the D30 that is. wish it was available for the D44 and 8.25 then I would sell that over the ARB. I even have a D44 Eaton Ected on order so I can play with them both a bit.

Rawbrown said:

Maybe things have changed since I bought mine (2004), but back then I found a big difference in the advertised price vs what you could actually buy at. Of course you would have better first hand knowlege of how it is currently...

yeah, I saw 3 price increases from ARB last year alone.

Pretty much anything over $300 is not an option. I figure if i am regearing and doing the 29 spline swap i should put in an Inexpensive rear locker. Want about an ezlocker? if i have to buy the 29 spline carrier i will.

to save money, find a machine shop that will turn out your old carrier. the bearing journals need to be opened up by about 1/16 of an inch or something like that.

What about keeping the 27 spline and my carrier and using a detroit true trac or ez locker? is it really worth the extra cash for the 29 spline and carrier or a lcoker with the carrier?

xtrememtbiker85 said:
What about keeping the 27 spline and my carrier and using a detroit true trac or ez locker? is it really worth the extra cash for the 29 spline and carrier or a lcoker with the carrier?

Only you can answer that. How are you going to wheel it? Your 27 spline shafts will not stand up to as much abuse on 33s. I personally wouldn't put any money into a 27spline set up. If you can't afford to upgrade now how are you going to be able to afford to fix it when it breaks. Just my opinion but I think you would be better off to save up and do it right and only do it once.

As for the locker, I ran a no-slip in the back for a couple of years and got so used to the quirks that I hardly notice anymore. But now that I have an E-Locker in there I sure don't miss those quirks. (BTW the E-locker is not available yet for the 8.25) Now just to get rid of that Lock Right in the front...

Thanks, if the 27 is that weak with 33's then it is worth upgrading. I do not have a lock right in the front.

Hoe much did the E-locker run you and where did you get it. I am Looking to get a locker for $300 or less, shafts and carrier (if i need the carrier for the locker) for $200 or less at the bone yard and I can get a complete install kit for under $100.

Then I wll work on the front but I am only regearing the front, I am not going to lock the front until i can upgrade it.

I'm not saying the 27spline is going to brake as soon as it touches dirt, I mean other people have run them, but if it were my money I would wait until I could buy something stronger.

Oh... I guess I wasn't clear in my Lock Right comment, I just meant that I still have one in the front of mine that I want to eventually swap for something selectable.

The E-Locker was about 650, but to my knowledge they are not available for the 8.25.

I am running a Alburn in the rear and a Detroit tru-trac in the front. They both work fine untill I get a wheel in the air. I can hold the brake a little and make them engage and they will get me thru. There not as good as a "locker", but they do good for a dd.
O

Find someone who has a locker in their 29 sline and ask if they still have their carrier. I gont one with gears for $20. Shafts are on order. Stole em for $50+ shipping. But that is a rediculously good deal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think just about any locker that replaces the carrier (i.e. not a "lunchbox" locker) is going to be more than $300. Look around on the different forums too. people are selling stuff like this all the time. Good luck!

What is the average cost to have the gears and lockers installed? I have been thinking about ARB's for my 8.25 and D30 and some 4.56 gears. I can order the ARB's and the Gears from 4WheelParts for $1910 plus setup. I would do the setup my self but I don't want to mess it all up and break expensive new toys trying to learn.

CleanRacer and I just installed a Detroit EZ Locker for the 8.25. I got it used for a good deal. After replacing the springs, it works pretty well so far. Springs do make a difference.

I had a Traclock in my 8.25 and had to find an open carrier in order to install the EZ Locker. The limited slip and open carriers are completely different as well as the cross pin.

Back