• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle shaft nut problems

PoSxJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've finally got around to replacing my wheel bearing (hub assembly). I've got the passenger side all done. And now i'm working on the driver side, the one thats really bad. The axle shaft nut is giving me some problems to say the least. I've got the brake caliper and rotor off. I lubed up the nut with some wd40 type spray, it's actually suppose to be better. I've been using a breaker bar aprox. 3 ft long. Worked great on the other side. But I just broke my 1/2 drive socket wrench, the male part that goes in the socket, and the nut didn't even budge. I've been soaking it in wd40. I was hoping that someone here has any ideas. Anyone had this trouble before?? Any help would be great.
Thanks James

Yeah, that's what I've been using is pb blaster. I just didn't remember the name of it. I guess I have no choice but to soak then try, then repeat. Thanks guys

I had the exact same problem last fall on my 98 ZJ. Took it to my local tire store and they used there BIG air gun to break it loose in like 2 seconds. Then they put enough snug on it for me to get it home safely (less than a mile), and finally I was able to easily remove it, and they didn't even charge me anything.

This was after bending a 180ft-lb torque wrench into a nice curved shape trying to get enough leverage on it (didn't have a pipe handy). I was amazed how easily they got it off. Just goes to show you what the right tool will do for you.

2001XJeep said:
I had the exact same problem last fall on my 98 ZJ. Took it to my local tire store and they used there BIG air gun to break it loose in like 2 seconds. Then they put enough snug on it for me to get it home safely (less than a mile), and finally I was able to easily remove it, and they didn't even charge me anything.

This was after bending a 180ft-lb torque wrench into a nice curved shape trying to get enough leverage on it (didn't have a pipe handy). I was amazed how easily they got it off. Just goes to show you what the right tool will do for you.

Ok, well this sounds like my only other option. But I doubt any tire shops are open at 8pm. So it that well have to wait till tomorrow. Let me know if anyone else has any ideas.
Thanks

Had same problem a couple months ago. I was able to put all my weight on a half-inch breaker bar connected to a four foot pipe and the nut would not budge...even with PB Blaster...

I finally just started to rock it - weight on bar, weight off bar, repeat - it finally turned after ten minutes.

Then both hubs took about 20 minutes each to knock off with a hammer.

There is a air-gun in my future.

Use a Craftsman 18 inch breaker, a six-point socket, and a 4 foot breaker
bar. Tire on ground with a helper with their foot on the brake pedal.
This usually works out well.

Got it done. 2001XJeep's idea worked rather well. Took it 10 blocks to triefactory and they took it off with an air gun with no problems. Drove it home and change everything out. It only took me an hour once they losened it up for me. Thanks for all your help guys.

Yep, I always use my air gun on em, they come off no problem every time. It's the IR Titanium gun, I think it makes like 1000ft-lbs of nut-busting torque in reverse :D

This has made me want air tools even more then I already did. What size compressor do you use?

Everyone should carry one of these in their Jeep.I built my own but you can buy them for 8$.
CPR012138.jpg

PoSxJ said:
This has made me want air tools even more then I already did. What size compressor do you use?

Not sure exactly, it's whatever we've got at the shop, they're old and beat-up looking. I do know there's two huge tanks and two compressors. Each V-twin compressor is driven by its own 330v electric motor.

At home I have a decent size 110v Craftsman standup, it's a 30 or 35-gallon tank, not sure. It's great for home use, cost in the area of $300, but then again that was a couple years ago. If you want something to use at home, go to Sears and look around. Just make sure you've got a decent size tank, those pancake compressors and smaller roll-around ones are a PITA, they're out of air by the time you've got a tire off.

RCP Phx said:
Everyone should carry one of these in their Jeep.I built my own but you can buy them for 8$.
CPR012138.jpg

This may sound like a stupid question but.... What is it?

PoSxJ said:
Its an axle nut tool.You use it with/without a breaker bar and a sledge hammer to beat to nut off.

PoSxJ said:

i have no idea what that thing is either...

for the hub nut - i used a air tool...if you dont have one, here's a surprising method:

with a giant breaker bar, stand on the end of it and apply some serious pressure - then SWITCH SIDES as if you were TIGHTENING the nut...this tighten/loosen/tighten/loosen method really works....and hit it with pb blaster constantly.

RCP Phx said:
CPR012138.jpg

This probably makes more sense with the description from their website:

"Keep this tool in your tool box , This is a must for all VW owners. Slides onto the axle nut and allows the use of a heavy hammer to get the axle nut off."

Back