• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Name brand Hi-Lift vs. cheap knockoff

A brand name 48" Hi-Lift is $60 from jeepinoutfitters.com, plus about $40 for shipping. A cheap 48" knockoff is $28 at my local Tractor Supply Co., with no shipping. I know the brand-name Hi-Lift is better, but is it so much better that it's worth shelling out more than three times the money?

Another vote for Farm and Fleet and Hi-Lift...

Bob picked one up for me on the way to Winterfest and I used it the very same weekend...

Definately go with a proven product when safety is an issue.

Gil BullyKatz said:
Definately go with a proven product when safety is an issue.

X1000

Mambeu said:
A brand name 48" Hi-Lift is $60 from jeepinoutfitters.com, plus about $40 for shipping. A cheap 48" knockoff is $28 at my local Tractor Supply Co., with no shipping. I know the brand-name Hi-Lift is better, but is it so much better that it's worth shelling out more than three times the money?

uh, i bought a cheap one at my local kragen/checker auto to get me by in a pinch, and that's all it was really good for. Kind of like a disposable lighter-cheap and useful, but will it last? In my case the return ratchet that lets you lower your rig back down failed on my second use.

lighthouse jim said:
uh, i bought a cheap one at my local kragen/checker auto to get me by in a pinch, and that's all it was really good for. Kind of like a disposable lighter-cheap and useful, but will it last? In my case the return ratchet that lets you lower your rig back down failed on my second use.

i dont know my 28 dollar qff one works fine for me and i use it for winching too.

u dont wanna know what i paid for mine. but that was small town markup. easier to pay the xtra money than than the time and gas it woulda taken to drive to yakima or tricities and back

A buddy had a cheap knock off one. Third time he used it one of the pins slipped, making it jerk the handle out of his hands and throwing the handle about thirty feet in the air. Lucky for him he was using proper technique of having his head and body beside the handle, not leaning over it.

Chris S said:
A buddy had a cheap knock off one. Third time he used it one of the pins slipped, making it jerk the handle out of his hands and throwing the handle about thirty feet in the air. Lucky for him he was using proper technique of having his head and body beside the handle, not leaning over it.

i've made that mistake only once. a bit tongue and a sore jaw later, i learned my lesson quite well. the fact there was a really heavy piece of farm equpiment on the other end didnt help the fact, either.

Hey stop moaning - I shelled out $125 over here for a 48". Too bad the $9 flat shipping at Summit does't apply to international!

Definitely go branded. I've firsthand experience of an el-cheapo failing while tensioning fencing wire some years back. Luckily no-one got hurt but it sure gave me religion.

Andre

I just saw a 48" Hi-Lift at Tractor Supply in Indiana, PA for $53.00 (+ tax of course). I may go back and get it tomorrow.

If you've got a john deere dealer around you, they sell name brand hi-lifts with a john deere sticker on there which makes them good for an extra 1000#s of lifting!!!!

Back