• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Tow Hook Questions

Dragline

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know what years these will fit? Also does anyone know where I can download installation instructions for these? I know how to install them, but I am selling this pair and would like to include instructions.

thb3.jpg

thb2.jpg

P4070014.jpg

they look to be 96 and older...they have the extra holes for a winch mounted option. doesnt look like all the brackets are there, one missing from the inside of the bracket to the front of the crossmember...if a buyer wanted to modify these to fit his bumper all they need to do is cut off the bumper brackets and it will work just as well

I'm pretty sure they are complete. The two smaller pieces mount in between the hooks and brackets and go to the crossmember to compensate for pulls that are not straight on.

here is a picture of what im talking about it is part number 2 on the sheet
picture.JPG

and here is a diagram of how they mount
picture.JPG

Which part is that on the second picture? Because it looks like I have everything on the second picture. That kind of worries me because 1) I don't want to sell brackets that aren't complete and 2) the ones I have are identical to the ones I have on MY Jeep.

Nope that's not the piece.
The 2 pieces that you are missing are only for extra side support. They are not required (although desireable) to mount up the main brackets or to use the tow hooks for recovery.
The brackets you have are for pre97 XJ's.

interested in the brackets

they fit any cherokee, i have a set from an 86 or 92 i think... something like that. On my 97, they worked just fine, i do need to put new nuts on the crossmember tieins though, the old ones stripped out

JEEPZZ said:
The brackets you have are for pre97 XJ's.

Those are new style hook/bumper brackets. They will fit any XJ, though I am not sure if they will bolt to an old style bumper. They may, I just haven't tried it.
There are some reinforcement pieces that are "L" shaped that tie the front of the radiator support to the front frame screws. One each side.

Last edited:
These are the brackets in question. Only a pre97 bumper will bolt up to these brackets. Notice where the 2 mounting holes are located, one from the bottom and one from the front. 97+ mount from the top and bottom NOT from the front.

thb3.jpg

These below are the universal style. This aftermarket style require the use of your existing bumper mounting brackets. The OEM tow hook brackets (pre & post 97) have the bumper bracket welded to the tow hook bracket.

standard.jpg

Here's the OEM 97+ and pre97 side by side out in my garage. 97+ on the left.

dsc00127.jpg

Last edited:
JEEPZZ said:
These below are the universal style. This aftermarket style require the use of your existing bumper mounting brackets. The OEM tow hook brackets (pre & post 97) have the bumper bracket welded to the tow hook bracket.
Some of the OEM, perhaps.

I know mine are OEM, and they are not welded.

Zuki-Ron said:
Those are new style hook/bumper brackets. They will fit any XJ, though I am not sure if they will bolt to an old style bumper. They may, I just haven't tried it.
There are some reinforcement pieces that are "L" shaped that tie the front of the radiator support to the front frame screws. One each side.

Yes, they will work with an older style bumper, with slight modification:) . I have a set of 97 brackets bolted onto my 87 MJ with stock bumper. The bracket mounts the same, you just have to redrill the bumper to accomodate the new bracket end.
Mvc-001s.jpg

Jeff

JEEPZZ said:
These are the brackets in question. Only a pre97 bumper will bolt up to these brackets. Notice where the 2 mounting holes are located, one from the bottom and one from the front. 97+ mount from the top and bottom NOT from the front.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/ToneyMarconi/thb3.jpg

Sorry, got confused- too late at night I guess. :eyes: I thought I saw holes top and bottom.

It is as you say.

Back