• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocker fix question.

josh89xj

NAXJA Forum User
89 xj and finally the rockers have a peep hole.I was concidering picking up a 90 degree angle piece of steel to bend and cover stock rockers but also see the square tubing that could work but requires a skill i dont have ,welding.Any easy fix suggestions?I just want to cover the rust hloes and make it lokk nice as possible,Im selling it this summer so I can get my H.O. XJ project started.

Mine were just rusty in places near the rear of the jeep
I just got some 20g alum and made some .. I made about a 14" long patch to match the other and Rino'd it .. You can't tell

I made templates that captured the vertical curvature of the rockers, then had a local shop bend a peace of 3/16 plate to match. It took a lot of trimming to get them to fit. I connected them to the pinch seam using 1/4 grade-8 bolts. They've prooven themselves in the rocks more than once. I have a scratch or two in the metal that tells me the stock rockers would have been history!

JC Whitney has rockers for around $25 per side. You can cut out the old and weld in the new or go over the old and screw or rivet the new one's on. Very little trimming and if you take your time and remove the front fender lower screws and "tuck" the new rockers under the fender you will get a pretty good fit.
On another note b-4 you cover over the old ones, I would try to at least stop any further rust from developing, Zero Rust,POR-15 etc. The rust will just spread otherwise.

Back