• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Howl from transfer?

torfinn

NAXJA Forum User
I have noticed lately that I have a slight howl coming from the transfer case I think. It is a 89 4.0 with 242 transfer. I changed the oil and it is the same sound. I tried the low series and It changed to a much louder whine. The jeep has 230000 km which is about 140000miles. I drive in full time all year round. No offroading, although I drive in snow for 6-8 months of the year.

I have searced and found other with the same problem. Is this a stretched chain? I tried to jack up the rear wheels and put it in 2wd, and run it no sound. If I put it in 2wd and remove the frond drive shaft, will the sound disappear as the chain is no longer in use? I am thinking of doing this to diagnose the problem.

If I am going to replace it, what are my spline counts 21 or 23? If I should rebuild it what parts should I change?

regards
Torfinn

Back