• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 chero

rckclmbr

NAXJA Forum User
I recently just picked up an 87 cherokee with the v 6 in it. I was wondering if anyone knew what all came with this jeep. its 4wd with the select trac switch. Auto tranny. and thats about all i know

If it has a V-6 then it's been put in after it came out of the factory. 1987 was the first year for the AMC 4.0 I-6, which replaced an anemic GM V-6. If it is the 4.0 then you also have an Asin Warner AW-4 transmission. As far as accessories there were lots of combinations but the 4 trim levels were base, Chief, Pioneer, and Laredo, so depending on which of those you have you will likely have additional options. The only sleeper for an '87 is that it may have come with a Dana 44 rear axle, so look closely at that to see if it's your lucky day.

rckclmbr said:
I recently just picked up an 87 cherokee with the v 6 in it. I was wondering if anyone knew what all came with this jeep. its 4wd with the select trac switch. Auto tranny. and thats about all i know

Select Trac switch? Do you mean there is a switch in front of the shifter? Or is there just the handle to the left of the shifter?

If there is a switch in front of the shifter, and it has a V6, I would really suspect it's NOT an '87. Check the plate on the drivers side door post. It will show you the build date (late '86 would be considered and '87)

Back