• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lights??other minor problems??

TheBlueSub

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have a few questions about my heep

1st-it is a 1990 cherokee pioneer 4.0 4wd no mods

2nd-my brake lights don't work anymore neither do reverse but tail lights work what may cause this???

3rd-my part time light came on today when i shifted into 4wd and when i took it outta 4wd to 2wd it flickered off then it would come on for a sec every now and then on the way home (by the time i looked at it when it would come on it went off) so i shut it off when i got home and when back out to drive it and now is staying on ???why???

4th- what is a High Output??is it better???

5th- what should be my operating ranges??amps, h20 temp, oil pressure,etc...

Thanks

Temp any where between 190 and 210 is normal for me. Oil pressure I run around 40. Alot of these can be aswered using the search funchtion.

CODevilDog said:
Alot of these can be aswered using the search funchtion.

thanks on the temp and pressure.....but i searched the 4wd light and came up with theres a wire and it may be grounded but i couldn't find any wires at the axle...and i fixed the brakes with a new switch THANKS

I hate electrical problems, it could be anything from a bulb, split wire, bad ground, bad harness or corrosion, or headlight switch. or even as simple as a fuse. DOnt forget the obvious sometimes.

Norms of operation ->

Oil pressure - 12-15psig Idle, 30 PSIG at around 3K rpm
Alternator Output Voltage - ca. 13.5-14.5VDC up to full current output
Engine Coolant Temperature - 210-215*F. This can be lowered with some work - my RENIX rigs operate around 190-195* now, with no ill effects.

Best cruise RPM? Somewhere around 2500-2800 at speed. I picked up 2-3mpg by NOT using fifth gear!

A "High Output" is nothing more than a 1991-up 4.0 with the ChryCo SBEC control setup. I honestly think RENIX is better, but I've got four of them. The difference in absolute output is not great - although there are benefits to mixing and matching some components. The RENIX block usually has a thicker casting, but the 1991-1995 head can be made to breath significantly better. Depends on what you're after - in stock trim, the RENIX is just ducky.

Bear in mind the gages on the IP are notorious liars - especially the voltmeter. Back-check it with a good DVM, and take note of the error for later. The OEMR voltmeter is more a "relative state of charge" indicator than an "absolute voltage level" indicator.

As far as the PT4WD light, I'd need to know more - like what transfer case. Do you have a full-time 4WD option, or no?

5-90

Back