• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget Boost

xjchris98

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a newbie with a question about a BB. I'm planning on getting a BB hopefully in the next week or so and was wondering which kit is the best to go with? My leaf packs aren't sagging at all and i'd like to keep it that way if at all possible. I've heard bad things about AAL's so I was leaning towards the rocky-road kit. Any suggestions would be appreciated...thanks in advance.

don't get a shackle.
add a leafs are better. shackles will kill stock leaf packs. don't ask me why i know that....
long add a leafs are preforable. they ride better and more evenly arch the leaves.
marty, who runs rocklizardfabrications, has a nice budget boost article on his website.

I've had the Rocky Road 2" budget lift on mine for almost a year, zero complaints. The ride actually improved (firmed up slightly). The kit came with 2" poly spacers, 1.5" shackles (beefy!), 0.5" steel lift blocks and shock extenders. The shock extenders were a total waste, not only did they not work well at all (removed them after one day), but were totally unnecessary with only 2" of lift.

The only thing that you need to be aware of is you will need to order longer u-bolts (Rocky Road has them), and you'll need longer leaf spring center pins (you can get the right length round allen head bolts at any home store that will work well). Also, you'll probably want to remove your rear sway bar during the installation as the lift blocks will cause the swaybar brackets to ride very close to your tire's inner sidewalls. But I noticed zero negative effects from removing the bar, in fact my rear suspension actually feels firmer now (less body roll) than it did when my Jeep was totally stock.

If Rocky Road get's your order right the first time with no problems it will be a historic event
and if they don't their customer service will surely screw you
I'm sure some people have had luck but if you search the Forums you will find the majority of opinions are very negative
buy from someone else
They haven't earned anyones business

Get the Rubicon Express 2" kit, but get the long add-a-leafs instead of the short ones. It's a complete kit: coil spacers, add-a-leafs, new center pins, new shocks, and an extended rear brakeline. I have this kit (though with the short add-a-leafs, which I hope won't be on for too much longer), and aside from the stiffness of the short leafs, it's been great. Plenty of room for 31" TrXus with a little trimming.

I too have heard multiple bad stories about Rocky Road, but have personally gotten very fast, prompt deliveries from them the two times I've ordered.

Their shock extenders are nothing to dream of, but their coil spacers, greasable shackles, U-bolts and steel lift blocks are top notch quality, delivered quickly and complete.

They also have a very good website.

2001XJeep said:
I've had the Rocky Road 2" budget lift on mine for almost a year, zero complaints. The ride actually improved (firmed up slightly). The kit came with 2" poly spacers, 1.5" shackles (beefy!), 0.5" steel lift blocks and shock extenders. The shock extenders were a total waste, not only did they not work well at all (removed them after one day), but were totally unnecessary with only 2" of lift.

The only thing that you need to be aware of is you will need to order longer u-bolts (Rocky Road has them), and you'll need longer leaf spring center pins (you can get the right length round allen head bolts at any home store that will work well). Also, you'll probably want to remove your rear sway bar during the installation as the lift blocks will cause the swaybar brackets to ride very close to your tire's inner sidewalls. But I noticed zero negative effects from removing the bar, in fact my rear suspension actually feels firmer now (less body roll) than it did when my Jeep was totally stock.

Can you tell me anymore about the shock extenders? Im looking at that kit and those look iffy!

No issues loosing 2" of travel on stock length shocks?

Thanks,
Ken

IMNSHO the only way to do a budget boost is with AALs. Either get the Rancho full-length AAL, or use the main leaves from a pair of junkyard XJ springs with the eyes cut off the ends. For the front, you can get 1-3/4" coil spacers just about anywhere but the best price last time I paid any attention was from DPG Offorad.

You do not need new shocks with a 2" budget boost. I've discussed this with the engineeres at Monroe/Rancho (they are the same company). They said stock length shocks are good for up to 3" of lift, and the Rancho catalog reflects this.

Eagle said:
IMNSHO the only way to do a budget boost is with AALs. Either get the Rancho full-length AAL, or use the main leaves from a pair of junkyard XJ springs with the eyes cut off the ends. For the front, you can get 1-3/4" coil spacers just about anywhere but the best price last time I paid any attention was from DPG Offorad.

You do not need new shocks with a 2" budget boost. I've discussed this with the engineeres at Monroe/Rancho (they are the same company). They said stock length shocks are good for up to 3" of lift, and the Rancho catalog reflects this.
Thanks! Thats what I needed to know! As my springs are shot and im replacing them w/oem style HD's if I take out my old main leaf should it spring back enough to use as the AAL in the new pack? Should I find a better donor?

Very happy to know the shocks are ok. I plan on changing the stock (new, came w/jeep uninstalled) cheapos anyway but not yet.

Finding true 2" spacers cheap to. Will wait to see where rear ends up before getting them.

Dont mean to hijack so please see new thread re: bastard leaf w/AAL question

Thanks again,
Ken

Save a bucket o cash! I've done the rocklizardfabrications.com BB on 3 different jeeps and it rides fantastic and is cheap. go there and check it out in the tech section.
Here's what you go get. 1.75" coil spacer from DPG off road ($30 +shipping)
Get a set of XJ leaves from a boneyard ($80 or less)
New 5/16" center pin bolts
shocks if yours needs them
some spring clamps
You will have a BETTER ride than any BB kit on the market (I had a RE BB on my first xj and it's waaaay better than that)
You will get about 2" and have enough money left over for the walmart light mod!

The rocky road shock extenders work great. I was able to use my old shocks. The ride is the same as stock but much more capable off road with the 2 in. lift.

sjan said:
The rocky road shock extenders work great. I was able to use my old shocks. The ride is the same as stock but much more capable off road with the 2 in. lift.

Now that's just weird. I installed the shock extenders on mine and the ride was not acceptable (it's an 01 and everything is tight and fresh). After a day I removed them and everything was fine, better than stock actually. I did recycle them though, there currently serving as paper weights on my work bench :)

Anybody using Mako products out there? They've got 2" spacers for like $25 and long AAL for like $60. IMHO that's a whole lot cheaper and easier than going to the boneyard and chopping up a set, all you have to do is point and click, but I don't have any experience with them. Does anybody else? (www.go2rdsi.com)

joshv98xj said:
Anybody using Mako products out there? They've got 2" spacers for like $25 and long AAL for like $60. IMHO that's a whole lot cheaper and easier than going to the boneyard and chopping up a set, all you have to do is point and click, but I don't have any experience with them. Does anybody else? (www.go2rdsi.com)

yah decided I'd give em a shot...I figured what the hell its an add a leaf and a spacer how can you screw that up...a month later I've yet to recieve my complete order and Ill be notifying ebay of fraud monday if I haven't recieved everything.

Back