• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lucas Transmission Fix = Snake Oil?

2001XJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 Grand with the 4.0, 42RE auto, 242 (Naxja is the best site for getting accurate answers so forgive me for my Grand question). When cold and in reverse the tranny makes a howling noise, operates just fine and I don't plan on doing any kind of repairs (it quiets down when warm). But I'm considering adding some Lucas Transmission Fix fluid this weekend when I change the fluid/filter hoping it will quiet the howl when cold in reverse. Is this product snake oil, or does it offer any real benefits? Any thoughts if it will improve/reduce the noise?

Are there any trans additives that offer any real benefits?

Thanks.

i don't know for sure, but seems like most "oil additives" are used too late even if they were to work. i would recommend a pro look at it if you are unsure what to do, could be something fairly simple? Lucas stuff seems awful thick to me for a tranny.

I've always thought that additives with a very few specific exceptions (autorx) were snake oil at best, and would quite often decrease performance of the primary fluid.

Anecdotally, however, years ago, the local jeep dealership added Wynn's tranny additive when I had my XJ in for several maintenance items. When I got it back, I was very surprised that my jeep was actually as close to purring as I think jeeps can. I don't know that it was the tranny additive - one would think plugs and wires would have been more likely - but since then I've replaced or upgraded every service I had done at that time except tranny fluid (and it's time again), and I have never had that sort of realization again.

I'm not sold on it, of course, but I'm curious enough to add to your thread and hope that someone who really knows comes along with an answer :D

Back