• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Terrible noise after SYE

HotChiliRam

NAXJA Forum User
I installed the RE SYE for my NP242 and a RE DS. I was very happy with the purchase but now I have a terrible noise when I hit 65 MpH. If I accelerate to reach 75 or 80 MPH the noise gets louder, if I put the tranny in neutral at that speed, the noise goes away. If I decelerate (sp?) there's no noise. If I cruise at any speed between 65 and 80 MpH (were the noise is noticeable) you can barely hear it, if I put the tranny in neutral and then again in Drive, the noise decrease.The noise is like a Hummmmmmmm!!!! and I can feel it in my feet. I already checked if everything was tight and everything was. I turned the DS 180* to check if that was my problem and nothing.
What should I look for? or what should I do?

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
Did you point the pinnion up toward the tranny when you added the cv style rear drive shaft? If no that could be the problem.

black93xj said:
Did you point the pinnion up toward the tranny when you added the cv style rear drive shaft? If no that could be the problem.
What do you mean?, Here are two pics of what I have.

2171861_58_full.jpg

2171861_59_full.jpg

he means did you install the correct shim in the back end? You have to have shims when you run a cv style driveshaft. For example, I have an RE 4.5" and I run 2.5 degree shims when in put in my sye and shaft.

HotChiliRam said:
What do you mean?, Here are two pics of what I have.

2171861_58_full.jpg

2171861_59_full.jpg

From that second picture it looks like your pinion is a degree or two too high. It should be 1-2 degrees short of pointing directly at the t-case output. You could be experiencing some vibrations if you are out of spec...

i understand why it needs to be lower...for once i feel smart. when you accelerate it is rolling the axle and causing the pinion to be lined up above the where it should be.

IcedXJ said:
i understand why it needs to be lower...for once i feel smart. when you accelerate it is rolling the axle and causing the pinion to be lined up above the where it should be.
The problem in lowering the angle is that cruising it will be low and it should vib. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

well I always assumed that is why you line it up 2-3 degrees below. SO that when cruising it will rotate into the correct position.

It wont vibe when 3* below as it is when under torque when the vibes appear the most noticeable. Therefore once the torque is applied it will align correctly.

Well, Yesterday I took off my Degree Shims and went for a test to the Freeway and the Vid is almost gone, I can barely feel it now.
I'm thinking about turning the blocks that I have backwards to point the pinion even lower.
Opinions?
Ahh, Thanks for the great advice guys :)

Looks to be about 3* now so I would go any further. Do you have extended shackles that no shim is required? Have you got a angle finder or even a protactor and a piece of string? You just need to see the angle of the driveshaft is verses the pinion.

Back