• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

20 gallon tank from a 90 into a 99?

LynchMob

NAXJA Forum User
Will the 20 gallon fuel tank from my 1990 Laredo fit and work in my 1999? It'd mean one less jerry can to carry on the trail. I tried a search but came up empty...ha empty...get it.

JEEPZZ said:
They're not interchangeable. I believe your 99 should already have a 20 gallon tank.

My '00 claims to have a 20-gallon tank... but the gauge/light cry wolf at about 15.5 or 16.... and I'm too much of a wimp to let it go much lower than that!

Den

DenLip said:
My '00 claims to have a 20-gallon tank... but the gauge/light cry wolf at about 15.5 or 16.... and I'm too much of a wimp to let it go much lower than that!

Den

Putting the earier 20 gallon tank in won't change that. The warning light is designed to come on when there are about 4 gallons left.

Some day when you're feeling adventurous, strap a little can of gas to the roof and drive it until it quits. That's the only way too know for sure just how accurate your gauge and light are.

langer1 said:
There would be fuel pump issues, the 90 don't have a pressure regulator in the tank and the 99 does.

I kinda figured that would get me even if it did fit.

Regarding the 99 already having a 20 gallon tank....I read stuff that states it should but when I've filled up from near empty or around 2 gallons (7liters) left I've only been able to get around 13 gallons (55liters) into it before it clicks off.

It is a Canadian model but that shouldn't matter. The only other thing I can think is that maybe the previous owner came down on the gas tank causing it to dent in....but there's no other signs of any off roading/abuse.

Thanks for the info.

Back