• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Main Caps and other parts

GoliathJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any pictures of which way the main caps face? Also how do I tell which place they came from? My neice was in my shop with me and she knocked a lot of my parts off a table. Please give me some help with this!! I am trying to get a motor back together and this is holding me up. Another thing, are the spring rates the same on intake and exhaust valve springs? They got knocked around too.

The main caps should be numbered, and you install them front to rear, with the front cap going to the left side of the block. The block is upside down for this for locating purposes. ( the front of the block is to your left) As for the valve springs, no difference in rate, can be switched around.

ren said:
The main caps should be numbered, and you install them front to rear, with the front cap going to the left side of the block. The block is upside down for this for locating purposes. ( the front of the block is to your left) As for the valve springs, no difference in rate, can be switched around.

this is confusing to me. by front of the block do you mean harmonic balancer side or flywheel/flexplate side?

GoliathJeeper said:
Does anyone have any pictures of which way the main caps face? Also how do I tell which place they came from? My neice was in my shop with me and she knocked a lot of my parts off a table. Please give me some help with this!! I am trying to get a motor back together and this is holding me up. Another thing, are the spring rates the same on intake and exhaust valve springs? They got knocked around too.

Harmonic balancer goes at the front, flywheel/flexplate goes at the rear. Main caps are numbered from 1 to 7 (1 at the front, 7 at the rear) and each has an arrow which should point to the front.
Valve springs are all the same so it doesn't matter if you mix them up.

The front of the motor is considered to be the end where the harmonic balancer is found.

Back