• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

searched 'manual cable actuator' and....??

klonestar

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for any updated info/articles on ditching 90' vac lock system and going cable lock (DIY?) on front D30. Pros/cons?

Found an older article from an earthlink site on a $20 DIY job. Anyone done that one and does it last?

Not looking for a $$$$$$$$ locker system. Just getting rid of the front vac system. I like the idea of manual lock and no PM for vac system.

On a 90' Cherokee is the vac unit behind pass. side front axle or?

What do I do with the rest of the vac system after changing front to cable?

Recently someone here did their own dyi job and I cant find the post now.

Jeep was seriously neglected over the years and not looking forward to pinholes in metal tubing, brittle hard plastic tubing, ends falling off connections, retightening bolts on vac unit every 6 months, etc...

Hope to get Jeep home this week finally after buying it a month ago and trying to get it inspection ready.

Seems like it may be better and easier to change over to home brew cable lock for front.

Last time I found this topic in search was 03'-04'.

Thanks,
Ken

btw jeep is stock for now.

I put a posi lock on my front ... real easy not a DIY one.
Plugged vacuum by putting screws and silicone into the lines.
Welded my front spiders so now I have a cheap ox locker just not as strong as I fiure my weak link is the collar that joins the two axles.
When I pull on the lock the jeep can really get through things.

hope this helps
k

ksmith said:
I put a posi lock on my front ... real easy not a DIY one.
Plugged vacuum by putting screws and silicone into the lines.
Welded my front spiders so now I have a cheap ox locker just not as strong as I fiure my weak link is the collar that joins the two axles.
When I pull on the lock the jeep can really get through things.

hope this helps
k
Is that the 200.00 One? Looks like a good unit.

I had the same unit in my 87 YJ, worked great, never had a problem with it for the year or so I had it.

I installed one of the Posi-Lock cable systems on my 91 last winter and love it. Very easy to follow installation instructions and came with pretty much everything you need (my kit even came with caps to plug the vaccume lines). Definately a worth while upgrade.

I have one ( posi lok)I will sell I sold my project
I would take $130 shipped to your door.
It has a new gasket and all used maybe a year and engaged only a few times
still looks new
you can PM me or email [email protected]
klonestar said:
Is that the 200.00 One? Looks like a good unit.

Ok folks, I finally got my jeep home and on the road (temp plate right now). I was following this thread on a cable lock and where the actuator (?) box is shown on the passengers side rear of front axle....I dont have one!

So what are my options now and what do I have?

Its a 90' Laredo.

BTW I took it off road today for first time and 4high part time and full time engage on my 242auto. 4 Part time low will not engage however. I tried all the advice I could find and no luck. Is this maybe a linkage adjustment or?

Thanks again,
Ken

klonestar said:
engage on my 242

You just answered your own question. The 242 equipped XJ's came with the non-disconnect axle. Your axles are always "engaged".

Sorry to hear about 4L. I'd double check the linkage. My $.02

242 transfer cases dont have vacuum disconnect front axles. your axle is always engaged, and your front driveshaft spins when you drive in 2wd.

congrats on the 242, its a good case, IMO

-tim

Back