• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveshaft rubbing

00XJFAN

NAXJA Forum User
Just went to Moab last weekend and my front driveshaft when engaged is rubbing on where the exhaust manifold connects to the rest of the exhaust system. Never happened last year at 3.5" but now at 4.5" it rubs.

Anyone else have that issue? Suggestions? Or should I just move the axle over to the drivers side a little?

2000 XJ, RE 4.5, auto, 265/75R16 BFG MT KO,16x7 steelies with 4" BS.

That's pretty odd for having 4.5" of lift and having the drivshaft rub. It only rubs when you flex right?

You mentioned moving the axle over to the driver side... the only thing I can think of why your driveshaft would be rubbing with that much lift is if the axle wasn't cenetered (supported by your question about moving it over) or if you tweaked your exhaust in a way that bent it slightly to the driver side.

Also, did you swap your LP Dana30 in favor of a HP30?

Is it aligned after the new lift? The axle might not be centered so that would be why it is hitting. Did you get a new track bar, or adjust the one you had by any chance?

I adjusted the Trackbar to move the axle over about 1/2 inch towards the drivers side yesterday (ands away from the exhaust flange). While at Moab I noticed it was not quite centered in the vehicle. I will have to find something to flex on to see if it still rubs now.

At 4.5", LP 30 and your axle centered, there should be no issues with the exhaust. I used to have a problem with the DS hitting the LCA bolt on the drivers side; come to think of it, that might be why I didn't have exhaust issues.

I have had that problem also. Adjusting the trackbar can help a little. The last downpipe that I had installed, the guys at the muffer shop shortened the stock pipe by 3/4" to make it ride above my Rusty's engine skid. I also had them bend it closer to the oil pan. I have only seen slight nicks in the downpipe now.

Back