• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building a custom 9"....need info/help

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Okay, I am pretty green to building axles and I ask for help with what all I need and good brands to buy. I only want to do this once and want to use good parts. Please feel free to add whatever you want that might help me out. My plan is to order everything, take it to a friends house who builds axles on the side and we are gonna put everything together from scratch. Then I'll get perches and shock mounts welded on it.

And for the record I'll be running this with my hp d30 for awhile till more funds come. I plan to run 35s till I get a new front axle and beef up the unibody more.

Anyways so far this is my list:

1. Currie extra HD housing 62-64 wms to wms. I couldn't find a housing this width and I guess it does not matter since this is stronger and with 35 spline shafts I can't use stock spare axles anyway. I thought about a junkyard housing and cut it down, but it will end up either a headache or more $$$.

2. Strange Nodular 3rd member in 3.25 size. I see a $199.99 Strange housing on ebay, but it looks alot different than the Strange on Curries website, so I am not sure if its as strong or what. Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-Fo...33731QQitemZ8052360795QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

While Curries Strange housings look like this (notice the difference in the webbing):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...33731QQitemZ7922031277QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

3. 35 spline alloy shafts. I am not sure what brand I am gonna go with (Opinions?)

4. Detroit locker. I sure hope they make detroits for 35 spline 9", if not anyone have suggestions? I am not running a spool or wleding spyders...this is a DD.

5. 4.86s. I am told these are fine to run with 4.88s up front. Gonna go Superior or the like with master install, etc.

6. disc brakes. I see tons of kits from $300 - ALOT, anyone have ideas? (I've read a few articles on mix and matching brakes) But I am looking to buy a new kit.

Now this is all the big stuff (I think?), but thats where I get lost. What about all the bearings, seals, pinion support, etc do I need? Is there a good kit out there that contains alot of this stuff? Like a master master install kit, lol. Please just suggest what all I need to finish the axle. I found this place on ebay that has alot of 9" parts and was wondering if they carry anything worthwhile for me?: http://stores.ebay.com/Quick-Performance-Racing

Thanks for any help.

Also I've been trying to join NAXJA and for some reason the join page has nothing but red Xs where you have to click and the page won't show up. Ideas?

Last edited:
ZachMan said:
1. Currie extra HD housing 62-64 wms to wms. I couldn't find a housing this width and I guess it does not matter since this is stronger and with 35 spline shafts I can't use stock spare axles anyway. I thought about a junkyard housing and cut it down, but it will end up either a headache or more $$$.

Even that width is almost considered "full width". Stock width is closer to 61".

2. Strange Nodular 3rd member in 3.25 size. I see a $199.99 Strange housing on ebay, but it looks alot different than the Strange on Curries website, so I am not sure if its as strong or what. Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-Ford-Strange-Nodular-Iron-Case-NEW-9-Inch-L-K_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33731QQitemZ8052360795QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

While Curries Strange housings look like this (notice the difference in the webbing):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-RACING-9-NODULAR-IRON-CARRIER-4141-E_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33731QQitemZ7922031277QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Strange refers to the company, Strange Engineering, that is the most popular brand. The $200 Strange Case should be suffiecient. But like you said you only want to build it once, i'd get the better Strange 3rd or the Currie.

3. 35 spline alloy shafts. I am not sure what brand I am gonna go with (Opinions?)

Moser?

4. Detroit locker. I sure hope they make detroits for 35 spline 9", if not anyone have suggestions? I am not running a spool or wleding spyders...this is a DD.

Yeah they do make a Detroit. Its probably the best other than an ARB for a DD.

5. 4.86s. I am told these are fine to run with 4.88s up front. Gonna go Superior or the like with master install, etc.

6. disc brakes. I see tons of kits from $300 - ALOT, anyone have ideas? (I've read a few articles on mix and matching brakes) But I am looking to buy a new kit.

My buddy is running the brakes off a 87 Chevy 1/2 ton with prefabed caliper brackets.

Now this is all the big stuff (I think?), but thats where I get lost. What about all the bearings, seals, pinion support, etc do I need? Is there a good kit out there that contains alot of this stuff? Like a master master install kit, lol. Please just suggest what all I need to finish the axle. I found this place on ebay that has alot of 9" parts and was wondering if they carry anything worthwhile for me?: http://stores.ebay.com/Quick-Performance-Racing

You should be able to find all this stuff on ebay, at Currie, or you local auto parts store.

ZachMan said:
Okay, I am pretty green to building axles and I ask for help with what all I need and good brands to buy. I only want to do this once and want to use good parts. Please feel free to add whatever you want that might help me out. My plan is to order everything, take it to a friends house who builds axles on the side and we are gonna put everything together from scratch. Then I'll get perches and shock mounts welded on it.

And for the record I'll be running this with my hp d30 for awhile till more funds come. I plan to run 35s till I get a new front axle and beef up the unibody more.

Anyways so far this is my list:

Good plan, OEM housings are junk.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-Fo...33731QQitemZ8052360795QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...33731QQitemZ7922031277QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Can't go wrong with a Strange nodular housing, check their website, tons of info there.

Can't go wrong with Dutchman, Currie or Superior

They do.

Fine

Do yourself a favor and get an Explorer disk brake setup. The ones that use the Caddy calipers suck major ass. The E-brake is not strong enough for 35's, while the Explorer holds the rig just fine.

Well, you need to get your housing made to your dimensions, then worry about shaft size and bearing size. If you get a Currie housing, just have them make the shafts for you as well. They almost always use Set20 bearing ends, and they can press those bearings, and the retainers on for you and sell it all as a package. Really, you ought to check with them on a FULL 9 package anyway, as you may get a better deal than piecing it together, and they usually throw in gear installation for free.

Thanks for any help.

Also I've been trying to join NAXJA and for some reason the join page has nothing but red Xs where you have to click and the page won't show up. Ideas?

Thanks guys

Does the Explorer backing plate bolt up to a 9" housing? I checked mine a few days ago and I thought it wasnt going to work.

xj4life said:
Does the Explorer backing plate bolt up to a 9" housing? I checked mine a few days ago and I thought it wasnt going to work.

The ford explorer rear disc kit uses the same mounting pattern as the big bearing new style ford ends or torino ends.. If you have the big bearing with the 1/2" bolts or older big bearing big bolt housing end, dutchman has the same kit pre-drilled for it... In my opinion the explorer brake kit is the way to go, unless you want mad brakes with the wilwood 4 piston calipers...

I got this quote, its everything, but explorer discs:

Zach-
Here is what we can do on a complete package:

$615 - Bare 9" Housing, Moser Axles, Axle Bearings, Wheel Studs, & Retainers
$1215 - Center Section (Strange Nodular Iron S-Case, Iron Daytona Pinion Support, 1350 Steel Yoke, 35 Spline Detroit Locker, Motive Performance Gears, & Timken Bearings)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$1830 - TOTAL

Is this decent deal?

I can get the similar d60 for about $700 more, but its bolt in ready and equipped with disc brakes.

ZachMan said:
I got this quote, its everything, but explorer discs:

Zach-
Here is what we can do on a complete package:

$615 - Bare 9" Housing, Moser Axles, Axle Bearings, Wheel Studs, & Retainers
$1215 - Center Section (Strange Nodular Iron S-Case, Iron Daytona Pinion Support, 1350 Steel Yoke, 35 Spline Detroit Locker, Motive Performance Gears, & Timken Bearings)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$1830 - TOTAL

Is this decent deal?

I can get the similar d60 for about $700 more, but its bolt in ready and equipped with disc brakes.

when i priced mine out i figured i could do it for $1400 myself

Back