• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 I6 for a 91 I6 Swap

jeepsurfgirls

NAXJA Forum User
Hey i have an 88 inline 6 and the motor is gone but my buddy has a 91 cherokee that hes been parting and the engine and transmission from that are still strong and he had both rebuilt 15,000-20,000 ago. My question is what would it take to swap the 91 I6 motor in to my 88 cherokee? Any help is greatly appreciated

Actually, I have an 89 I6(Bent rod, 292,000miles on it....you know its bad when people are like, "I didn't know those Jeeps came with diesels in them?") and I was told that the best swap would be to a 91 I6. I need to know the same.

I posted an answer on another Jeep board. The motor will mechanically drop in. The question will be weather to keep the EGR or not. I think your in CA, so you will probably need to keep it. The best wat would probably be to cut out and weld the bung area or boss area off the '88 manifold into the '91 intake manifold. I've headr the exhaust header sits a bit lower from the Renix to the HO. You could get after market header, that has the EGR bung (Pace Setter, Clifford and either Banks or Borla) or have a bund welded on. Here the article I refered to :
http://www.rockmodified.com/offroad/Tech/TB/tb_perf.htm
It should go over the wiring etc. Basically, you will keep the '91 TB. You can bore it out for more HP if you want.
I'd keep the '91 valve cover. The 90 degree elbows are suppose to help with oil control. I did this and the 2000+ big tube CCV update on my '88. Look at MAD-XJ for info. I had to splice in fuel line tube to lengthen the CCV tube. You probably won't need to do this as you intake will be an HO.
Someone else will have to help you with the wiring of the automatic tranny. If thats what you have. A manual, will not need any wiring mods.
Tom

I best go over a few details. You will need to retain you flywheel or flexplate from you Renix motor and also the distributor. Basically any electronic stuff as in sensors. I don't know whats the same or different, so its best to keep it the original sensors. THe other item is the fuel rail or log. It is attached to the intake manifold and the injectors. The bolt holes are in different locations between the Renix and HO manifolds. Also, the fuel lines are a bit different. The Renix has the pressure line at the front and the return line at the rear. On the HO both are at the front. I'm not sure if the fuel pressure release valve is the same or not. My swap is a bit different, but I am putting on a 91-95 fuel rail and will adapt the fuel line below. A mechanic suggested hose clamps with fuel line.
Tom

Back