• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High 9 inch pinion angle

xj4life

NAXJA Forum User
What can I do to help the outer pinoin bearings survive at a pinion angle around 20 deg? Its a trailer queen so i'm not really concerned with road/highway time.

Are you having problems eating them up now or is this something you're looking to prevent? The Hi9 is supposed to be designed to oil the pinion just fine, but the faster you turn it, the more oil it should see. If you are having a problem you may want to consider ditching the CV drive shaft. A CV shaft shouldn't be needed the how tall the pinion sits (depending on how much lift you're running). This would allow you to rotate the pinion back down...

Matt

FarmerMatt said:
Are you having problems eating them up now or is this something you're looking to prevent? The Hi9 is supposed to be designed to oil the pinion just fine, but the faster you turn it, the more oil it should see. If you are having a problem you may want to consider ditching the CV drive shaft. A CV shaft shouldn't be needed the how tall the pinion sits (depending on how much lift you're running). This would allow you to rotate the pinion back down...

Matt
Matt - I think he's saying a High Pinion angle on a factory ford 9 case...

FWIW - here is a similar thread on Pirate -
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459919

XJ_ranger said:
Matt - I think he's saying a High Pinion angle on a factory ford 9 case...

FWIW - here is a similar thread on Pirate -
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459919

Ah Phatty

Yeah i'm just trying to prevent bad things from happening in the future. I've got an 8.8 right now and its at 18deg. With a 9 i'd think its going to be at least 20deg. I was thinking about making oil redirectors like Hi9 does but i guess i'll just run it and see what happens. :)

Back