• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone have auto start?

my65289stang

NAXJA Forum User
I tried a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. I have a silencer brand alarm and I am looking for an auto start system that will be compatable with my current alarm. I want to put it in before summer hits here in Phoenix to ease some of the 115 degree heat. Does anyone have auto start on their jeep? Which one are you using? Who makes a good kit? 96 cherokee sport, and yes its an auto...had a co worker put auto start on a 5 speed civic and his friend left it in gear and when he auto started the car it took out a wall, real smart

i have a remote start from designtech international (designtechintl.com). its an american company, based in virginia outside washington DC and they make all their stuff in-house.
my remote starter has a thing so you can set it to start if it gets to a certain temperature inside the vehicle (cold or hot) then run for 15 minutes until it warms/cools.
the range is quite good with the single remote it came with.
it was 55$ on clearence from Target in 2001, but the same kit is still for sale at advance auto parts for roughly $80.
wiring wasn't bad, although i wouldn't volunteer myself to help out any buddies. on my 2000, i removed the trim under the steering wheel and spliced into a few wires there, such as the ignition and running lights. i did run a plunger-style kill switch to the hood (which was included in the kit) so in case its running on remote start mode and someone opens the hood, it'll die.
the kit has you tap into the brake light wire as well, right at the brake pedal switch. that way if someone's in it and tries to put it in gear while the thing is running (with the remote start working, with no key in the ignition), they hit the brake to put it in gear and the thing dies.
sure, the vehicle could be stolen while its running in remote start mode, but the thief would have to bust the column to unlock the steering wheel and shifter, and get down under the dash and pull out the wire for the brakelight switch (not an easy feat without being outside the vehicle with your head in the pedals).
i've also got the remote starter/alarm kit from the same company for my 1988 lincoln. i think that one set me back about a hundred bucks.

I got the Prestige 996A (Audiovox) which is a full alarm / remote start. It's freakin' great, but expensive @ $400 IIRC. Does it all w/ pre-programming start times, auto-run, timers/countdown, temp sensors, valet switchs.... whatever.

DR

I have one of the older Bulldog units (back when there were about $40, 4 years old) and it has worked flawlessly the whole time.
Whatever brand you go with, if they offer a "cheater" harness, buy it. It cut my install time to less than an hour. I think I only had to splice in about 3 wires.
HTH

natep1 said:
I have one of the older Bulldog units (back when there were about $40, 4 years old) and it has worked flawlessly the whole time.
Whatever brand you go with, if they offer a "cheater" harness, buy it. It cut my install time to less than an hour. I think I only had to splice in about 3 wires.
HTH

Ok, so the search function worked this time, kinda.

Nate, do you have the factory remote to lock/unlock your doors.

Did any of the mentioned systems interface with the factory power options and door locks.

I'd like to install a remote start for the winter.

thanks.

Erik

Back