• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diagnosing heater

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
i know when a heater doesn't work to well it could mean a couple of things. when im driving it im getting somewhat warm air but when im idol its neutral/ or cold air kinda. im not dumb but to give you a better idea. i have a triple core radiator and bigger t-stat so my motor runs around 160-170 most the time, would that have anything to do with it. Just want to know kinda what to maybe replace first.
thanks

First thing to do is flush out the heater core, Here is a write up with that and alot of electrical upgrades for the XJ, Since your system is putting out some heat, start with the flush of just the heater core, then if it still isn't right back flush the whole system. 80% of the time most of the junk is in the heater core and this simple fix cleans it out. Good Luck,
Oh the link....http://www.olypen.com/craigh/tech.htm

Well to start your engine is running way to cold. You should be running a 195 deg stat. At only 170 your ECM will always be in open/cold start mode.
You should be running around 210-220.
That low of temperature is bad for your engine.

If you have a 195° Thermostat, should you NOT be running around 195°?

I'm an XJ Noob, BUT every other vehicle, the cooling system should be able to handle the cooling well enough to keep the water temp right at the thermostat temp. Which thats what the thermostat is designed to do, keep the water temp at one constant temp or as close to it as possible.

Designed operating temp for the 4.0 is about 210.
Most 195* thermostats don't open fully at 195

On all engines equipped with a 195degree thermostat, the thermostat is CLOSED below 195 and not fully OPEN until approx.~218degrees

im sorry i didnt do a very good job explainging because it will hit around 200-210 when idol it just cools off when driving. i will flush the heater core out.

dellstopjeep said:
im sorry i didnt do a very good job explainging because it will hit around 200-210 when idol it just cools off when driving. i will flush the heater core out.
Thats clear enough but what part of it's running to cold didn't you understand?

Back