• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ac Electrical help needed

MikeU

NAXJA Forum User
My 95 XJ keeps blowing both the ac fuse and the cruise control fuse. I replaced the fan switch which was bad but it takes using the ac for at least an hour to blow it. Something must be pulling to much amps. A shop checked my compressor (1 year old) and said that it was ok.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check next?
MikeU

Check for shorts in the wiring, since 2 fuses blow, check where the wiring for both circuits are co-located, that may be where the short is at.

Also check the resistance on the coil for the A/C clutch, hot and cold, don't know the spec, but if the coil is shorted, it draw extra current and also more current as it gets hotter.

Does the fuse look like it was blown from a short (kinda exploded looking) or from slowly melting like something is drawing a steady current of what the fuse is rated for?

The fuse just looks slightly blown like something is pulling more amps than it should. If I replace the fuse and make short trips it will work but drive the car for an hour or so and it will blow.
Mike

Why are both the ac and cruise systems blowing at the same time? They should be seperate systems.
Mike

Never had the problem, BUT I "IMAGINE" the coil that closes the A/C compressor clutch would do such a thing. The coil is shorted, but not bad enough to draw more current than the fuse, it heats up from the slight short over time and draws more current after getting hot, and thats enough to finally push it over the edge of max current draw.

But why would it also blow the cruise control fuse at the same time?

What size fuse is there, I haven't looked at mine in a while, but if you have an ampmeter that has a range close to the fuse size, you could pull the fuse, and put your meter in where the fuse goes and watch your total current draw. Then you can turn things on and off to see what is drawing the majority of the power. As to why the cruise fuse is blowing at the same time is a mystery, but you could put your meter there as well, and then try pulling the A/C fuse with the meter plugged into the cruise. I know it sounds weird, but it could be that once the A/C fuse blows, it is trying to pull the power from the cruise circuit and causing it to blow as it is a smaller fuse.... Either way, it sounds like your two circuits are getting tied together somehow?

Back