• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Creeking clicking noise in front hub area

xjdavid1

NAXJA Forum User
This noise happens when I am in 4wd going slow and turning sharp. I know this sounds like uni's but I can reproduce the noise by selecting drive and then reverse with the wheels straight ahead stationary in the garage. I have listened with a piece of garden hose to one ear and the noise is definitely coming from either the uni or the spline in the wheel bearing hub. I think it is coming from the spline in the hub. I have just had new non genuine hubs fitted maybe the spline in the hub is a bit loose. The front axils have just been out so the uni's have been inspected. I can feel the uni ear jump as the heavy click noise happens. Has anybody had similiar problems.

Last edited:
xjdavid1 said:
This noise happens when I am in 4wd going slow and turning sharp. I know this sounds like uni's but I can reproduce the noise by selecting drive and then reverse with the wheels straight ahead stationary in the garage. I have listened with a piece of garden hose to one ear and the noise is definitely coming from either the uni or the spline in the wheel bearing hub. I think it is coming from the spline in the hub. I have just had new non genuine hubs fitted maybe the spline in the hub is a bit loose. The front axils have just been out so the uni's have been inspected. I can feel the uni ear jump as the heavy click noise happens. Has anybody had similiar problems.
When you replaced the hubs did you torque down the nut on the axle shaft? IIRC it's about 180ftlbs or more. If you didn't that means that the hub was not held together right and it's probably dead or dying.

I had it done at a shop. If I put my finger on the wheel side of the yoke I can feel I move a bit at the same time the click can be heard. The movement doesnt appear to be in the uni unless it is binding and then letting go.

xjdavid1 said:
I had it done at a shop. If I put my finger on the wheel side of the yoke I can feel I move a bit at the same time the click can be heard. The movement doesnt appear to be in the uni unless it is binding and then letting go.
OK.. what feels loose? the ball joints maybe? Ujoint? You have to examine all the moving components one by one: take the axle shaft with the unibearing out (you can take it out as a unit, and examine the ujoint and then also check out the hub.

The U-joints often dry out before they really get bad. A tip off, is a ring of rust dust right around the rubber seal for the cap (get a flashlight and get your eyeball close).
Double check your lug nut torque. Many of the newer replacement hubs I have seen, have the 1/2 inch threads all the way to the bottom of the stud. The hole in the disc is 15 MM (1/2" is close to 12.5 MM), there is some room for movement there, if the lug nuts aren't tight. If the 15MM raised portion (base) of the OEM stud is a bushing, I sure don't know, as they looked to be one piece, I've never seen a bushing or sleeve in any parts cataloge, for the stud base.
Usually whatever is happening with a U-joint it gets worse with the steering wheel turned to near right or left lock.
The last hub I put on, the bearings weren't seated all the way, I tightened to spec. (180), and felt the bearing slip into place. The bearing got really tight and I could hardly turn the tire. I backed off the torque to around 150 and ran it for a week and then rechecked the torque. Maybe raise a tire off the ground and check for resistance in the bearings. Too tight is often worse than too loose for longevity.
Your not the first to notice a click in the Fedral Mogul front replacement hubs. Mine have been in for a year now, the click from the bearings seems to have mostly disappeared.
Take a close look at the rear (rear of the hub) seal and seal race. Seating depth seems to be different between some after market hubs and OEM. Make sure the seal race didn't get bumped to a canted position, they can be a millimeter or two off, but anymore than that may cause problems (It could be hitting).
If there is excess play in the stub shaft and splins, it may be obvious when looking at the rear seal and race and rotating the tire/hub.

Last edited:
Back