• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Decided on lift / experienced advice needed...

bdl220

NAXJA Forum User
OK guys; first thanks for the advice!
My first post was about five days ago and I have been reading this forum for about two weeks now trying to decide what to do with my 99 Cherokee.
I think I have decided on a 3.5in Rubicon Express lift (RE6030) and OME shocks.
I anticipate having 31-10-50s and cutting the fenders.
Any thoughts?…
My 99 XJ is a five speed with 3.07 gears and I was thinking of going to 3.55s later when I add the ARB lockers and rear disc brakes.
Any thoughts?…
Thanks guys!

Sounds pretty solid. Just make sure you get the long travel OME shocks. That's an awesome setup. Budget in the SYE kit and driveshaft. You shouldn't need to trim much, if at all with that combo... As for gears, you're probably better off with 4.10s.

WobblesXJ said:
3.55 sucks with 31's. If I were you and weren't planning on going more than 31's I'd get 4.11 gears.

i have to disagree.. i ran 31s/AX-15/3.55s for the last year and i was pretty happy with it. i also ran 31s/AW4/3.55s for a while the year before and i didnt like it at all with the automatic tranny..

Thanks again guys!
On gear ratio; I am trying to keep gas milage in mind as this will be at least a 3-day-a-week driver...
I have 30s on her now (stock height) and she runs fine off-road and has plenty of passing power. I was thinking that the 3.55s would be a compromise of power vs. fuel economy...

I have the exact lift setup you have described on my 99, running 31x10.5 and OME Long travels shocks. It rubs a little on full stuff and tight left but there's no reason to trim (IMHO).

I have the 8.25 so I can't speak on your gears issue... sorry

Pic from NWFest 05:
swtg90.jpg

swthxt.jpg

swtiiv.jpg

Thanks Sniggs!
You have the same year XJ as mine; did you have any problems resulting from the lift (suspension)? I'm wondering if I will need a SYE...

I had am '88 with 31" BF Muds and 4.10's and the 5 speed. It got 17-18 wheeling and in town. It got as high as 24 mpg on the highway but averaged 20. The speedometer was corrected. You would love the power. If you drive over 80 mph it might not get as good of mileage. I wouldn't know. I used to cruise at 75 mph in that Jeep.

I put the RE 3.5 lift on my 2000 and could barely get out of the driveway until I went with the SYE. DS angles were terrible. You may be one of the few to get by without one, but budget for it just in case. Plan on snapping off the upper rear upper shock bolts too :D. Nothing a drill and tap can't fix.

did you try a t-case drop?

Are you guys snapping bolts with an impact wrench? My rear upper bolts came right off with the impact.

FWIW

bdl220 said:
Thanks Sniggs!
You have the same year XJ as mine; did you have any problems resulting from the lift (suspension)? I'm wondering if I will need a SYE...
Yes... get Tom Woods SYE & Shaft - just do it and don't mess around.

You'll have to trust me on this one...

sidriptide said:
i have to disagree.. i ran 31s/AX-15/3.55s for the last year and i was pretty happy with it. i also ran 31s/AW4/3.55s for a while the year before and i didnt like it at all with the automatic tranny..

yeah I guess I should have mentioned I have an AW4. It sucks! I must have missed where he said he has an AX-15.

I'm looking at the same lift setup for my '95 (AW4, 4.10s). Who has a good price on the RE 3.5 + OME?

Thanks!
fiz

bdl220 said:
Thanks again guys!
On gear ratio; I am trying to keep gas milage in mind as this will be at least a 3-day-a-week driver...
I have 30s on her now (stock height) and she runs fine off-road and has plenty of passing power. I was thinking that the 3.55s would be a compromise of power vs. fuel economy...

Dude go lower, I put 25k miles on my Jeep a year and I have 33s with 4.56s. I'd love 4.88s with 33s.

fizassist said:
I'm looking at the same lift setup for my '95 (AW4, 4.10s). Who has a good price on the RE 3.5 + OME?

Thanks!
fiz

For RE go to www.jeepinoutfitters.com

I am not sure what you mean by RE + OME, I know your not wanting to stack lifts?

Back