• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56's, No-Slip locker, in an xj 8.25...If you have this combo, please read this!!

jfxj75

NAXJA Forum User
how did you get the No-Slip cross shaft in there without grinding it? I ground mine and now the locker is acting funny.(had to grind to get past the new , THICK 4.56 ring gear that I installed. If you all have any info, it would be greatly appreciated!!! (The no slip keeps acting up because of the flat spot on the cross shaft. I've installed the stupid thing like 4 times now, and getting REALLY good at it! I'm just about to weld the stupid thing into a spool!!!):explosion

Last edited:
Re: 4.56's, No-Slip locker, in an xj 8.25...If you have this combo, please read this!!

I ground just a little bit one of the teeth , (just enough to pass the cross shaft) but NEVER grind the cross shaft, I do have 4.56's

Re: 4.56's, No-Slip locker, in an xj 8.25...If you have this combo, please read this!!

fx4rover said:
I ground just a little bit one of the teeth , (just enough to pass the cross shaft) but NEVER grind the cross shaft, I do have 4.56's
herein lies the problem.....i DID grind the gear teeth as much as i felt was safe and still strong.(about 3/16 on the toe side). And I STILL had to grind the shaft for it to pass the ring gear!!!=(

desertjeeper said:
Will the locker leave enough space to get the C-clips in with one of These
unfortunately, no. b/c of the ring gear, the entire length of the shaft has to be ground.=(

The way those work is you install the notched cross pin with the ring gear off then install the ring gear. The notch is just long enough to clear the axle in the center, you rotate the cross pin to one side, slide that axle and c-clip in, then rotate the cross pin 180 deg. and install the other axle. Once the axles are in you rotate it so that the notch is 90 deg from the axles and then put the retaining bolt in.

I'm just not sure if it will work with the no-slip.

Yeah i've seen these before, but the pin has to be completely out to install the locker(tight tolerances). I'm pretty sure that with the notch in the middle of the pin, it would interfere with the operation of the locker(kinda like my ground-on pin is now) Thanks anyway though, I really appreciate it !

what does that have to do with it??? with the ring gear on, he did not have the room to get the cross shaft in, so he ground down the teeth,or the shaft, or what ever he hacked, why does it matter if it was c-clip or not??? so if you have an 8.25, you can never take off the ring gear?
XJ_ranger said:
8.25 is c-clip... you cant take the ring gear off...

Last edited:
mack said:
what does that have to do with it??? with the ring gear on, he did not have the room to get the cross shaft in, so he ground down the teeth,or the shaft, or what ever he hacked, why does it matter if it was c-clip or not??? so if you have an 8.25, you can never take off the ring gear?
what this means is that if my axle were a non c-clip, I could just pull the shafts, pull the carrier, pull the ring gear, and voila! out comes the cross shaft.........BUT, Since I do have c-clips, this is not possible. Here's why: the clips won't allow me to remove or install the axles UNTIL I remove cross shaft(the cross shaft is what holds the ends of the axles apart, and keeps those c-clips retained in their recesses in the side gears(open diff), or in the couplers(locker). So this is the heart of the problem: The carrier and ring gear MUST be installed BEFORE you can put the cross shaft in. Otherwise, yeah, I would just take the ring gear off. That's what I had to do with my front Dana 30(non-c-clip). Thanks for the effort!

Whoever originally installed my 8.25/4.56/no-slip ground about 50% off of one of the teeth on the ring gear. The cross pin slid in and out fine. The previouse owner of my rear end bit the shit out of it and so did i, there was never a problem. I would comfortably do it with another 8.25.

cal said:
Whoever originally installed my 8.25/4.56/no-slip ground about 50% off of one of the teeth on the ring gear. The cross pin slid in and out fine. The previouse owner of my rear end bit the shit out of it and so did i, there was never a problem. I would comfortably do it with another 8.25.

My installer just shaved the pin and thats it. He did break the paddle on the active spacer the first time though.:confused1

ZachMan said:
My installer just shaved the pin and thats it. He did break the paddle on the active spacer the first time though.:confused1
Is there any certain way he shaved the pin??(or installed the shaved side pointing which way?)Thanks!

jfxj75 said:
Is there any certain way he shaved the pin??(or installed the shaved side pointing which way?)Thanks!

All I do know is the shaved portion is facing the drivers side axle.

Are you certain you have all of the correct parts?

Haleyes said:
Are you certain you have all of the correct parts?
Yes, I have all of the correct parts, but I think that I shaved enough off of the pin to cause excessive clearance on the driver's side, which is what is causing the locker to malfunction.

could you get another pin?

The key here is trying to properly index the ring gear "first",so that the pin lies between 2 teeth.Then you shouldnt need to grind the ring gear teeth much at all(and only at the top of the toe).

Back