• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding delay to windshield wiper

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to retrofit a wiper delay to a '91 XJ that doesn't have one?

I need to go into my steering column anyway to replace the turn signal cancelling cam. So I'm thinking, why not replace the turn signal lever at the same time with one that has a wiper delay.

Anybody done that? Any suggestions?

I added a delay wipers to mine but got them as a byproduct of installing a new tilt column. I got the column which was already equipped with the stalk and just had to plug in the delay module and they worked fine.

montanaman said:
Ok ... where does the delay module plug into? Did you buy the delay module new?
Robert, you should see a wiring harness underneath the dash to the left of the steering column a little bit that is plugged together. It will be a long narrow white or gray plug if I remember correctly. The delay module plugs in between those two plugs. If you still have my email addy, let me know if you want one, I have 2 extras.
-Collin

Collin: Just emailed you ...

Everybody: Anybody know if I can just plug in a new turn signal lever with the proper wiper delay switch and wiring?

Or do I need to also swap out the wiring harness of the entire column?

Thanks!!

As Colin mentioned, look underneath dash cowl near the column.

If you find a white connector / grey connector combo, you can just plug in the delay timer, in between them, as shown.

WiperDelayModule.jpg

Lou said:
As Colin mentioned, look underneath dash cowl near the column.

If you find a white connector / grey connector combo, you can just plug in the delay timer, in between them, as shown.

Thanks ... anybody know if the wiring harness on the steering column needs to be changed?

Is a '91 still a GM column? If it is you will need to get a lever with the proper markings ( there is no switch in the lever unless you have cruise ), and change the wiper switch inside the column, which the lever pushes into. The harness from the column that plugs into the module is part of the wiper switch. Might be a PITA to change the switch, because you have to run the wiring down the column, plus there are rods and levers to activate the dimmer switch and the turn signal switch. Hope I remembered this all correctly!

If your turn signal won't cancel on one side, it's usually the cancelling springs, not the cam. There is a right and left spring, and they used to be cheap so change them both while your'e in there! You'll need a wheel puller and a lock plate remover to get to them, once there it's easy to change them.

So it sounds like you're saying I need to replace the wiper switch and attached wires inside the column ... are you sure that needs to be done? I was hoping I could just replace the turn signal lever and install a delay module under the dash.

I have a puller, and I ordered a lock plate compressor a few days ago on ebay, which should arrive soon.

Again, thanks for the comments and keep them coming ... it will all go into the archives for future searchers!

Yes, switches are different! If you want to see what the switches look like, you can go to www.acdelco.com and look them up for your Jeep. Click on the part# for a pic. I think I saw four choices for the switch, depending on the combination of with/without delay, and/or tilt wheel.

Back