• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newbie with 4wd problems?

saabsaviur

NAXJA Forum User
alright i searched alot and couldnt find the right asnswer. i have a 90 4.0 recently the part time and full time lights started not working i check the bulbs and replaced to be sure that was'nt it it seems im not shifting into 4wd tried burnouts on dirt to confirm? is there a computer or something or some sort of linkage that brakes or comes off normally. im not rough on it and ive only owned it about 2 weeks any input or remarks hubs?

Ummm, For future reference, proper punctuation and capitalization helps enormously. If I am reading your post correctly you have a Jeep Cherokee with an NV242 transfer case (thus the Part time and Ful Time selections). You don't think it is going into 4WD because you tried doing burnouts to confirm it? Are you shifting into 4WD while you are rolling? In order to go into 4WD, you should be rolling (unless shifting through Neutral into 4 low). Tires should all be inflated to the same pressure, and should be the same size. There is a shift linkage that could be out of adjustment on the transfer case. The factory manual or a Haynes/Chilton both have adjustment instructions.

HTH, Bob

Check to see if you have a vacuum disco front axle. I think 1990 was the last year for it, althought I could have been '89, not sure. Those vacuum lines commonly fall off, causing 4WD to not work...and that actuator also turns on the dash lights when it engages.

Also check the fluid level and quality in the Tcase...it should be full of good clean red ATF. If the fluid is low and/or murky, black, etc...change it.

cstilesiscool said:
My '89 XJ does not have the vacuum lines to the front axle. I think '88 was the last year for that set up.
Yours must have been converted or had the axle replaced, then. 1990 was the last year for the vacuum-disconnect. My 90 has it.

Mambeu said:
Yours must have been converted or had the axle replaced, then. 1990 was the last year for the vacuum-disconnect. My 90 has it.
either way 242s didnt have vacuum disconnect front axles anyways. my brothers 1990 np242 doesn't
pretty sure thats a 231 thing

Back