• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emissions light

JnJ

NAXJA Forum User
So, the emmissions light is on in the 89 MJ. Is this the one set off by a certain milage? What should I look for before just pulling the bulb. :) This thing has been through a ton of changes, started as a 2wd and is now a 4wd with a complete drive train and front axle swap.

Thanks

Ok, just disconnected the emmissions light timer under the dash and the light is out. I know the manual says you have to replace these, but has anyone tryed taking one a part and re-setting it?

If I'm not mistaking, it is a throw-away part- there is no resetting it. It is part number 5600 2460 if you feel the need to replace it, but most guys just toss it.

FWIW, if you recently splashed through a very big puddle and got water in your engine, that could have set it off. I watered my engine a month ago, but got lucky with just a misfire. the emission light was on, and the code reader said it was because of a misfire.

whatevah said:
FWIW, if you recently splashed through a very big puddle and got water in your engine, that could have set it off. I watered my engine a month ago, but got lucky with just a misfire. the emission light was on, and the code reader said it was because of a misfire.
He has the Renix system. It is not possible for water to set off the light as it is a simple, separate module located under the dash that has an internal timer. After so many miles, it illuminates a light for the purposes of reminding the operator to replace the oxygen sensor.

whatevah said:
89's don't work with a code reader, the only light is turned on by a timer.
Oh and I.m pretty sure it has a reset button.

It is under the dash. Mine is a translucent smokey colored case with gears in it, connected to the speedo cable. All manual.
I took mine apart to reset, then saw that if I was careful, I could have reset it with a small screw driver. Its been a few years since did that. It goes off after 80+k miles.
Dealer only replacement. It is inteneded to have you check or replace your O2 sensor.
Do a search. You may find more.

Back