• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown A/C Line

coreys

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88 XJ Laredo 4.0 4x4. Yesterday I had the High side A/C line blow when I was charging the system. The gauge was only reading 30 lbs of pressure on the low side. I did not have the high side hooked up to the manifold. Is it normal for a old A/C line to blow or does this sound like I may have another problem? Where can I get a new line?

Usually the lines break down and don't fail catastrophically like that but remember that the part is pushing 20 years old though and anything is possible. I had to replace all the lines on my '87 two years ago and I'm hoping they too will give me 15 years of service like the originals.

Napa also has them or can make new ones.
You will need to change the dryer and have the system vacuum pumped before you can refill it though.

You've could have overcharged the system. IME the low side pressure reading is unreliable while the system is charging, if need to turn off the valve to cut the charging and give the system a second to equalize to get a good hi/low reading on pressure.

Most systems have a hi-pressure blow out valve, that should blow before the lines. So even if you did overcharge the system, that valve should have blown before the line, provided you have that valve, not all system do.

Back