• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My current dilemma.

PAPXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for some opinions...

My current specs: 90, 4.0, 4.10's, 6", 32's, welded disco D30, trac-lok D44, driven only to get to the trailhead.

I picked up another XJ D44 for cheap this weekend with the correct gear ratio, but an open carrier compared to my current LSD.

Should I:
1. Keep the trac-lok?
2. Weld the new D44?
3. Save up for a lockright? (Takes a long time on $0 income).
4. Get a job and spend less time on the internet?

Last edited:
I don't get it. Why do you want to swap your current Dana 44 with 4.10's,and a track lock LSD to a Dana 44 with 4.10's and an open carrier? If you want to lincoln lock your current axle just swap the carriers, and weld it up.

Starboard M said:
Sell the new 44 and then put that money towards a locker of your choice.

This honestly seems like the best choice. But then again, I would hate driving a welded vehicle, even if it is just to the trailhead, so Im a bit biased on that one.

If you don't care about the welded thing on the street, then weld up the carrier in the new axle and swap that axle in, then sell the 44 you have to pay for new, bigger tars. :D

scoobyxj said:
I don't get it. Why do you want to swap your current Dana 44 with 4.10's,and a track lock LSD to a Dana 44 with 4.10's and an open carrier? If you want to lincoln lock your current axle just swap the carriers, and weld it up.

It would be easier to swap the entire axle assembly than to swap just the carrier. Also, the open 44 only has 100K miles on it, while my current 44 has about 400k on it.

hjeepxj said:
This honestly seems like the best choice. But then again, I would hate driving a welded vehicle, even if it is just to the trailhead, so Im a bit biased on that one.

If you don't care about the welded thing on the street, then weld up the carrier in the new axle and swap that axle in, then sell the 44 you have to pay for new, bigger tars. :D

I think I like this idea...I could use some Q78's.

PAPXJ said:
I think I like this idea...I could use some Q78's.

Well there yah go, you'll have a real good trail setup.

:cheers:

Back