• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Click here to see my jeep naked! (Ok, so it's just the dash removed)

lilredwagn

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of sound deadening my jeep (which I am going about very slowly. Been without an interior since November)

I intend to do a write up on the process at some point, and I won't bore you guys with pics and progress right now.

However, I took my dashboard out today, so I thought I would post a couple pics so you guys could see the absolute rats nest behind it.

I posted awhile back and asked if I could/should drive with my dash out, and the responses seemed to suggest avoiding that. Naturally, instead of taking the advice I sought, I continued heedlessly on my own path :D As it turns out, there's really nothing to it. (Driving, that is. Actual removal is a PITA)

I left my heater control intact and pulled it through the back of the dash, so I didn't have to disconnect any vacuum lines. A couple electrical connectors had to be disconnected - most notably the headlight switch - so I can't drive at night (though the switch could be removed from the dash and reconnected, I just don't want to hassle with it), and of course, I no longer can see how fast I am going or how soon I am going to run out of gas (now there's an incentive to wrap this project up quickly).

I won't get into uninstall detail unless someone has specific questions, but I will point out that there are four screws at the top of the dashboard that receive no mention in the FSM. Only two of them are immediately evident (on the center bracket), and the other two are discovered after much tugging and cursing fails to dislodge the dash. Here is a picture of the location of the left driver's side screw:

Once all the bolts are out, it STILL doesn't come out, because the wiring harness is ziptied to the back of it:

In at least 8 places, though I've only highlighted 2 here:

After carefully slicing through all those zipties, with little thought given as to how exactly I will replace them :eek:, I ended up with this:

Now for my questions :)

1. Any idea where to source the zipties? They are like standard zip ties, but have a one-way "tree" type anchor that holds them to a hole drilled in the dash. I'm sure I can rig something, but if the part is available, I may as well use it.

2. While dismantling the dash, I noticed that this silver device that looks like a capacitor got quite warm while the car was off and the door was open. Later, after the door had been closed, it was cool again. That thing it is tied to and held with red bungee cord is the relay block that's supposed to be under the dash. Anyone know what it is/does.

3. Anyone want any pictures of anything in particular. I'm not a very good photographer, but if you're curious about something, I'd be happy to try to get a detail of it. (Yes, I do intend to replace the heater core and take pictures of that)

how many bolts held the dash in? And did you use a make-shift tool to get the top philips screws out or a loooooong screw driver?
Edit: Where is South kaky laky are you?

Last edited:
imma honky said:
how many bolts held the dash in? And did you use a make-shift tool to get the top philips screws out or a loooooong screw driver?
There are two 15mm bolts, one left and one right,that the dash attaches to and pivots around. These are located at the lower inside ends of the dash, and screw into the sides of the body.

I disabled the airbag before messing with the steering column.

In my '96 there are two "support" bars that run in the driver's side footwell from the lower side of the vehicle up to the steering column. These are secured to the body with 15mm bolts. The forward one can be removed, but the one in the rear is blocked by the main wiring harness. I settled for loosening it and pivoting that support bar down around the bolt. I suspect that these bars were probably added as an afterthought to help with the force applied to the steering column during airbag operation.

Once those bars are out of the way, there are two 10mm nuts attaching the steering column to the dash/firewall. The threaded portion is long enough that you will need a deep well socket or a crescent/box wrench.

There are 4 remaining bolts, all 8mm, located at the top of the dashboard. Two are in the center, and one each at outboard positions.

To my recollection, the dash itself doesn't secure with screws (despite my poor choice of words in the OP). The bolts to the dash become visible once the defroster cowl is removed.

The defroster cowl is removed with a phillips head screwdriver - I used a regular craftsman - no extra length needed, but it is a litle awkward. I did have to pull the screws out by hand once they were loosened (and I did drop one down the vent). After the screws are removed, there is a retaining clip that must be accessed by removing the leftmost driver's air vent (slide a slim screwdriver in and pry it out).

klonestar said:
Bummer for some reason im not getting the pics. Sounds like a major chore tho! Will be well worth it in the end!
Hm ... do you get a broken link icon? If so, try right-click copying the link and pasting it in a new window.

[Hm ... do you get a broken link icon? If so, try right-click copying the link and pasting it in a new window.]
Nope, nothing, just blank between the lines after the : . Its security settings on my end. Thanks.

Ken

Do a google on Go here: http://www.panduit.com/products/browse.asp?classid=1002

"Panduit" is a large maker of "zipties" or, as we call them in the electronics industry "ty-wraps" (after the original brand name). The page I noted is the type you are looking for. Then go back to their home page, and find the name of a distributor who sells them. (Or, if you do like I have done on occassion, ask Panduit for some free samples. They have a web page specifically for that.)

Bump, because I'd like to know what that little silver canister thing is too.. I've seen those on some Jeeps at the junkyard...

bump this old thread...I searched for an answer, but only found my question.

and I might as well add my other question here...what is the computer module thing bolted to the inside of the knee panel (passenger side) in my 95XJ

Last edited:
The computer module is the TCU, as for the silver canister it looks like possibly the buzzer for the key-in door open circuit.

The computer module is the TCU, as for the silver canister it looks like possibly the buzzer for the key-in door open circuit.

TCU...what is it, do I need this?
thanks for the door buzzer, I'll see if I can track it down on the schematics. Reading the digital FSM is a PITA, a little info up front helps immensly

Back