• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 select trac

jcwxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just was givin a 1986 cherokee with the 2.8 V6, I havent heard many good things about them maybe some one can give me info on where to obtain a owners manual and if any one has info on the operation of the 4 wheel drive(correct way to engage?) It would be greatly appreciated! Hate to sound so dumb but this is my first jeep this old.
Thanks,
jcwxj

If I'm wrong someone will correct me, but jeep's 4x4 can shift on the fly... which means you can push in the clutch and put it in 4 wheel drive at anything under a speed of like 35 - 45.. I forgot the actual speed.

The Selec-Trac is probably the most desired 4 wheel drive on jeeps. It allows you to be in 4 wheel full time, and switch to part-time when things get messy...

If this is an 86 with select trac it will have either the 229 or 228 tranfer case. You shift the tranfer case into 4wd with the switch behind the transmission shifter. It should read 2wd on the left and 4wd on the right. It must be engaged in 4wd in order to use the lever to go from 4hi to 4lo. That is how you shift it.

Kim.

I have an 86 with the same engine and 4wd. Alot of people say they aren't very good, but my 86 is a true go anywhere do anything Jeep. It goes places my 96 and 99 can't. As for shifting the 4wd, you'll want to be going under 20mph when you throw the switch to go to 4wd. If you are going any faster than that, most of the time it just won't lock in. If you have any questions on anything about the 86, send me a message and I'll get you what ever info you need.

Back