• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Xfer case skid-plate question

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up the factory skid-plates today for my 1990 2 door, everything bolts right up with hte exception of the Xfer case skid-plate(more like a skid-wing). Anyways the holes for the skid-plate are there on the tranny/xfer case crossmember BUT there are no holes for it on the frame. So I guess I gotta drill into the frame, once I do how do I get the bolts to screw into the frame? Tap &dye?

The skid-plates came from a 4-door, should that matter? The XJ I got it from is an 87 Chief 4-door with a X-fer case marked, 2wd 4wd 4wd-lock Neutral and 4lo, not sure of the number, NV242 maybe? The skid-plate hugged the X-fer case on the Chief better than it does on my NP231, I'm guessing it's normal.

Sorry for the long post & thanks for the help.

2 options:
get self-threading bolts
get nut serts (may have spelled that wrong)

self threading bolts look like regular bolts, but the head is tapered just a little bit and they've usually got grooves going end to end, perpindicular to the threads, to help them cut into the metal.
nut serts/nutcerts are avaliable at some hardware stores.

yes, the one you got was for a 242, the 242 hangs down about an inch or so lower.
dynamite was correct about nutcerts or self tappers. Nutcerts will work better and be stronger. Self tappers easier. I don't think you'll be able to tap the holes, the frame is just sheetmetal

87manche said:
yes, the one you got was for a 242, the 242 hangs down about an inch or so lower.
dynamite was correct about nutcerts or self tappers. Nutcerts will work better and be stronger. Self tappers easier. I don't think you'll be able to tap the holes, the frame is just sheetmetal
What exactly are nutcerts? Should I have any major problems since the skid is meant for the NV242 as opposed to the NP231?

I used the nut inserts when I installed the Mopar T-case skid on my XJ. They look kinda like the ones below. Basically a cylinder shape with a threaded inside. On the Mopar kit it came with a tool to set the nut insert into the XJ frame. Work great when installed.

Was there a difference between Np242 and Np231 T-case skid? According to the parts catalog and the dealership the part number is the same? At least for 97-01.
Alex

cal-lg.gif

Just looked at a buddy's XJ with the NP231 and the OEM skid, it's got extra room between the skid and the xfer case so I guess they're all the same.

Back