• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cranky 88 4.0

boogie94xj

NAXJA Forum User
If I drive the beast on a short trip I have to sit for about ten minutes before the thing will start up again. :mad: Has new cap, rotor, wires, plugs. The first time this happened i hit a big puddle before turning it off. Spraying everything with STP Wire Dryer did not help. Acts up mostly when humid/rainy. Could my coil be getting moisture in it causing it to short? TIA:confused:

What type of starting problem are you having? Does it crank, but not fire up? Do you just hear a click and nothing else? Maybe you got some crud in the starter?

Check to see if you have a faulty crank position sensor. That is usually the problem when it cranks but doesn't fire (happened to me)

I absolutly 100% agree with the previous... CPS. My '88 had the same problem. It would crank but not start. One moment it start great but it was a gamble if it would start every time I turned the key. A CPS from Discount Auto Parts or the like should run about 30 bucks or so. Give it a shot.

Before replacing the CPS unplug and then replug the sensor in. It is the three prong clip and the back of the valve cover near the firewall. Mine has been acting up for at least 20000 miles and although I bought a new one I will keep unhooking and rehooking the clip until that quick fix does not work.

Back