• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bender help

xj=1

NAXJA Forum User
I cant decide what bender to buy. the Jd2 mod3 or the pro tools model 105 hd. I have done searches but still cant decide. If anyone has used both your input would be greatly appreciated.

Smart ass. :D

I think that's a good choice. When I bought mine the arms on the 105HD were an 1/8" thicker. I figured that would give me a little more overhead when I added hydro later.

xj=1 said:
I cant decide what bender to buy. the Jd2 mod3 or the pro tools model 105 hd. I have done searches but still cant decide. If anyone has used both your input would be greatly appreciated.
Anyone have an opinion on the two? Getting ready to buy a bender and I'm not sure which one. From what i've been reading they seem very similar.

i seem to be getting as much input as the last guy....

I think they are both good benders. The dies were a little less money and like I said the arms were a little heavier on the HD. I've read through just as many reports about problems with the dies gauling (?) on both.

I actually tried to get a JD but they were 8 weeks out and according to other people it was closer to 12 weeks. Buy either, I don't think it will matter.

www.rockbuggysupply.com stocks the pro-tools stuff at a little discount, but it may be cheaper for you to get it direct since shipping may be more.

did you get the degree ring with yours? it seems the model 3 comes with it. if you did/didnt get it, do you use it/regret not having it?

I bought the degree wheel later. The pro tools degree wheel works as a stop also (haven't used it) and the JD doesn't. I think it's much easier to duplicate bends with the degree wheel.

I got the pro 105 with a degree ring and it's an ABSOLUTE piece of shit. The arms are in a different plane than the die so you can't get 2 bends on oposite ends of a piece of tube level with each other using a level. The pin is smaller than the hole at the pivot so the moving arms sag 1/2 over the run. I called them and spoke to the salesman that I bought it from and he did everything but tell me to get fucked. They were backed up when I got mine so I think there quality control went out the window to fill the backorders faster. I'm going to order a JD model 4 next, but not before I cut this peice of shit into little pieces with a torch.

Ive had my JD2 for several years now with no problems.I did buy the degree wheel and use it!One big difference is that the JD2 dies area full 180* standard(Mine are actually their old 220* sets),the Pro-tools is advertised as 120*x110*,the JD's are a tad more expesive though(but not much).

buy which everone has the cheaper dies!

FWIW - in building the baja, I rarely used the degree ring, but some other guys on the team really liked it...

The JD tools bender wasnt bad once we figured out that the trailing die was in backwards... after that - no kinked tube issues what so ever... even with the .058 wall tube...

ponyracer1 said:
I got the pro 105 with a degree ring and it's an ABSOLUTE piece of shit. The arms are in a different plane than the die so you can't get 2 bends on oposite ends of a piece of tube level with each other using a level. The pin is smaller than the hole at the pivot so the moving arms sag 1/2 over the run. I called them and spoke to the salesman that I bought it from and he did everything but tell me to get fucked. They were backed up when I got mine so I think there quality control went out the window to fill the backorders faster. I'm going to order a JD model 4 next, but not before I cut this peice of shit into little pieces with a torch.
anyone else have any of these problems?

I bought the jd2 model 3, and if the Pro 105's instructions it comes with is anything like the jd2 model 3, then I can see how one would put the wrong pin in.

I had the wrong pin in mine and whenever I would bend something past 30 degrees, the bottom of the pin would hit the degree ring and move it. This ofcourse was until I figured out I used a LONG pin instead of a short one at that location :)

The instructions were pretty much useless. I had to get online and view pictures of the bender to put it together correctly.

Not sure on how the 105's instructions are.

My pins were in correctly, the bender just sucks. The directions are 4 photocopied black and white pages that have HAND DRAWN PICTURES. Oh yea and one more, on the site it shows a pretty powdercoated frame, I got mine and it was flat black paint (not powdercoat), I also raised hell about that when I called and now the website says "yellow color for display only". Just spend the money and get the JD.

My Model 105 is awsome. Tight, no "sag" (my pins fit the way they're supposed to/where they're supposed to), easy to understand and read directions.

I recently bought a Protools Model 105 bender with the thicker arms. All of the components are powdercoated hammerite black except the degree ring and the handle. It also came with a VERY detailed set of instructions and a DVD. I have used the JD bender also and (in my opinion) the protools bender wins hands down. The degree ring on the Protools unit mounts using the two bolts that you bolt the bender to the stand with, therefore, it can't rotate and you dont constantly have to readjust it and retighten the center bolt. Also, over time (home use, not everyday in a shop), the JD bender got sloppy and became inaccurate, nearly impossible to duplicate bends or make bends in the same plane accurately. These are just my experiences with these two units.

Dave

I have used both quite a bit, but the pro-tools much more. I own the Jd2, and we have the protool 105 at school, not the heavy duty one. I really like both. The protools is powercoated, and the JD2 has like a black oxide finish or something on it. Both are very high quality in my opinion and would recommend both.

The only thing that I liked better about the pro-tools, is it seemed to hold the die a bit sturdier, meaning when doing 2+ bends on one tube, it will be more at the angle you want. I can say with my JD2, I did two bends for a roll cage hoop, and then layed it on flat ground, and it rocked around a bit. The pro-tools had the same problem, but not as badly. It all has to do with the large pin pivot point, it's not a bolt clamping them tight, it's a pin that just floats around. it's very easy to make up for once you notice it though, so it's not a huge gripe at all. _nicko_

gearwhine said:
I have used both quite a bit, but the pro-tools much more. I own the Jd2, and we have the protool 105 at school, not the heavy duty one. I really like both. The protools is powercoated, and the JD2 has like a black oxide finish or something on it. Both are very high quality in my opinion and would recommend both.

The only thing that I liked better about the pro-tools, is it seemed to hold the die a bit sturdier, meaning when doing 2+ bends on one tube, it will be more at the angle you want. I can say with my JD2, I did two bends for a roll cage hoop, and then layed it on flat ground, and it rocked around a bit. The pro-tools had the same problem, but not as badly. It all has to do with the large pin pivot point, it's not a bolt clamping them tight, it's a pin that just floats around. it's very easy to make up for once you notice it though, so it's not a huge gripe at all. _nicko_

Quick question,

What was your method used for doing the 2nd bend on the same piece of tube? How did you attempt to put the bend on the same plane as the first?

Back