• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front D-Shaft Chatter

WNT1

NAXJA Forum User
Since I have lifted my 96 XJ 4.0 IL6 w/ the Rockrawler 8" LA Kit I have noticed alot of chatter near my front d-shaft when I'm in 2-wd on the road? When I engage the four wheel drive it seems to go away??? It's mainly a trailered rig so I have'nt noticed it much while on the trails?? I took it for a drive tonight around the town and it drove me nutz!!!!!! Anybody have any ideas??? Thanks

im interested in this forum to I have the same situation 93 sport 6.5 re

WNT1 said:
Since I have lifted my 96 XJ 4.0 IL6 w/ the Rockrawler 8" LA Kit I have noticed alot of chatter near my front d-shaft when I'm in 2-wd on the road? When I engage the four wheel drive it seems to go away??? It's mainly a trailered rig so I have'nt noticed it much while on the trails?? I took it for a drive tonight around the town and it drove me nutz!!!!!! Anybody have any ideas??? Thanks
Your noise could come from bad ujoints or a loose slip or a bad double cardan joint. It could also be caused by a screwed up angle up front. And the reason you don't notice it on the trails is because you're not driving that fast and you're putting a load on it causing it to act a wee bit different.
How are your ujoints? how is the double cardan? When's the last time they have been serviced/greased and what are your angles on the front driveshaft and how sloppy is the slip?

Anyone else have any ideas??? I replaced the front D-shaft u-joint and greased the hell out of the two piece front d-shaft. That helped but I'm still getting some chatter under the floor board on the driverside???? I just recently pulled all the carpet out of the XJ and had it Line-Xed. Could that be why I'm now hearing all these strange noises! Let me know.

can you tell where the noise is coming from? could it possibly be coming from something else? maybe the exhaust pipe bouncing against something?

Back