• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting the front driveshaft in the rear??

BIGDAMNXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ive heard of doing this putting the front d.s. in the rear. can it be done what all is involved??? I really dont have the cash for a SYE and new driveshaft but I can afford a $20 shaft from the junkyard. any writeups??

You want to do what?
Neverheardofit.

Search.

BIGDAMNXJ said:
Ive heard of doing this putting the front d.s. in the rear. can it be done what all is involved??? I really dont have the cash for a SYE and new driveshaft but I can afford a $20 shaft from the junkyard. any writeups??
It's something like that.
Hang on, I need to search.....

I know I've never posted anything about this...nor have I ever bookmarked a thread on this very subject.

I don't think it can be done.

I know of people who have done it, but you have to have an SYE. It's my under standing that the front drive shaft from a 4.0 auto will work as the rear drive shaft of 4.0 auto XJ's with some lift. But I haven't yet had any first hand experance with this. Ask me again in a couple of weeks.

DAryl

I do that with the 241 Rock Trac t-case and a Ford 9" axle. It works good, but the 9" makes it almost necessary to get the driveshaft lengthened. The only thing different about using a stock front driveshaft in the rear is the double cardian u-joint that mates up the the SYE part using a 231 or 242. With the 241 Rubicon Rock Trac the driveshaft bolts up to the rear t-case yoke as it does the front yoke, not a round thing you add to your cut down SYE shaft.

Troy

Over 6"es of lift, AW-4, 4.0, 231, with Tereflex HD SYE.

Back