• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spray in Bedliner and Cage... what order?

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
If one had plans to do a full interior cage (including crossbracing to mount seats to), and plans for some sort of bedliner on the floor, what order would he want to do the work in?

My Concerns:

Could it mess up the bedliner by welding a few inches above it? What about covering it with sheetmetal or cardboard? I'm worried about splatter and heat transfer.

Could you spray the bedliner under a horizontal bar that's close to the floor? How much clearance is needed?

Gracias,
Billy

i had bedlined my floor with herculiner. getting that stuff of to weld my plates to the floor for the cage was a pain in the ass.

welding a horizontal bar an inch or so off the floor did nothing to my exisiting herculiner below it. it was fine.

i covered my horizontal bar with herculiner again when it was done, and just brushed it on, and was easily able to get it on the bottom of the bar.....spraying would be harder

DSC02987.JPG

DSC03055.JPG

DSC03054.JPG

HTH

IntrepidXJ said:
i had bedlined my floor with herculiner. getting that stuff of to weld my plates to the floor for the cage was a pain in the ass.

welding a horizontal bar an inch or so off the floor did nothing to my exisiting herculiner below it. it was fine.

i covered my horizontal bar with herculiner again when it was done, and just brushed it on, and was easily able to get it on the bottom of the bar.....spraying would be harder

DSC02987.JPG

DSC03055.JPG

DSC03054.JPG

HTH

Like where you but your AW4 Shifter

JeepFreak21 said:
If one had plans to do a full interior cage (including crossbracing to mount seats to), and plans for some sort of bedliner on the floor, what order would he want to do the work in?

My Concerns:

Could it mess up the bedliner by welding a few inches above it? What about covering it with sheetmetal or cardboard? I'm worried about splatter and heat transfer.

Could you spray the bedliner under a horizontal bar that's close to the floor? How much clearance is needed?

Gracias,
Billy

I would wait to bed line it till after you do all the fabbing and welding on the interior. It's a pain just getting a lot of the body filler off the floor.

Jes said:
I would wait to bed line it till after you do all the fabbing and welding on the interior. It's a pain just getting a lot of the body filler off the floor.

x2.

That filler is a stinky mess. Just leave the carpet or go bare for a while.

Step 1:
locate and buy a 2 door :D

while you are doing your project you can take a vehicle with preexisting line-x in it , cut a square in the floor where your mounting the feet of the cage , then peel the line-x back. and do your cage, when your finished you can take it back to the line-x dealer and they can touch it up to where you would have never known it had been cut up their product blends so well. if you want quailty go with a spray in company that can blend like i explained I used line-x and wouldnt use anything other. but im sure there are other brands out there. dont use herculiner i used it origanally and the texture sucks and it is to thin. you have to apply coat after coat to get it thick enough

In my CJ with a bolt in cage, the liner goes first then the cage. That way you can take it out later if you need to.

For a weld in cage, do the cage first. The liner will conseal all the weld boogers and clean things up real nice. If they miss any tight spots with the liner, brush in some herc, or just spray it with a black rattle can.

Back