• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS wont come off...help!

LB4Life

NAXJA Forum User
I'm using the jeepin.com article and can't get the switch off. I tried to do the pry method but I could feel the nut start to pull on the threads and I don't want to strip it. What am I doing wrong? I have the 12mm bolt, retaining washer, and nut off and the thing will not come off. It wiggles back and forth, but it won't come free. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

How far down did you thread the nut back on? When I did mine this past week end I rethreaded it untill the nut covered the fist threads and then used a large flat screw driver braced against the Tranny pan edge. Onc I got it to move and ran out of leverage I put a 13" pipe wrench against the pan to get more leverage. After cleaning the switch, I assume that is the reason for removal. I still had no back up lights. after hours of racking my brains and checking all circuts for continuity and finding it everywhere I checked for voltage at the "E" terminal where the switch plugged into. Nothing. Could have saved myself hours if i would have just noticed the 7.5 amp fuse labled TRANS in the bottom right side of the fuse block. All of my searching failed to point this fuse out, there for I never thought to check it out. It is for the transmition control mod.

Don't pry on the nut.

Get two bits of flat steel stock (about 1" wide, and a little less than 1/4" thick, if you can swing it,) and insert them between the switch body and transmission case with the nut FULLY REMOVED. Also (and before you do that!) dribble some air-tool oil or ATF on the shaft, and go for a sandwich.

About a half-hour after applying the oil (OK, a big sandwich. And maybe a beer,) put the flat stock between the switch body and the transmission case, on either side of the shift shaft. "Shake and wiggle" the flat stock alternately, until the switch itself comes loose.

If you have difficulty, it may help to tap the switch lightly with a bit of wood.

When you reinstall, brush never-seez ON THE SHIFT SHAFT ONLY, and make sure the clamp nut threads are clean. This will help you take it off the next time.

5-90

I did the anti sieze thing as well. Living in MN. Every nut that has come off is getting it before it returns. as for the strips of metal... I barly had enough room to get my hand up there let alone work two strips of metal under the swich. Prying on the nut worked just fine. The leverage that I spoke of was minimal to say the least and no damage to the threads or the switch. This is on a vehical that has seen 200,000+ miles with a 100,000 of that in the winter, ie., salt, ie, rust.

Another possibility is to try tapping gently inward on the shaft end. Just a little bit, and not hard. There may be enough play in that shaft to allow it to break loose. You can maybe get a flat screwdriver in under the switch body itself, to hold it out as far as the play in the shaft allows, then tap the shaft.

This is risky. Do it gently.

Yeah i got under there and tried the screwdriver thing and the nut would just jump the threads. So, like any good mechanic I gave up. Fuse box in the vehicle or the engine compartment?? I will give it ago again when i find some flat stock

Back