• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New tire carrier from Protofab

Starscream918 said:
I was digging around and found this.
It kinda reminds me of the Kaymar unit.

I kinda like the use of heims there... I might just put my spare steering heims to good use there...

Starscream918 said:
I just noticed that myself. It may be custom. I'm calling them tomorrow anyway to get some more info on it.
Let us know what it costs. Seems its the only item that says to call for pricing. Looking at the price on the tubular version its going to be right up there with the other biggies.

Why would it keep the hardware in place for switching sides for the tire carrier? Seems like more stuff in the way. Im just a dummy and thats why im asking!

Well, like I mentioned before it looks very similar to the Kaymar unit which has dual swing-outs; one tire and one gas can. I think it would probably be setup like that. I'm going to call tomorrow and get pricing and also find out if I can get the swing-out put on the other side along with having the extra arm mounts removed.

I just got off the phone with a guy from R&D at Protofab and this is what he told me:

The other latching you see is for a gas can (eventually)
They have a production run of 10
The hitch is unclassed, but can easily tow heavy loads
It can hold up to a 37" tire with no problems
It comes with their cam latch (rattle free)
It is 1/4" steel (he said they had problems with 3/16" flexing)
It weighs 125lbs total with tire carrier
It comes bare metal
It ties into the stock 8 holes along with 2 of the hitch bolts on either side
And finally, it costs only $570 (cheaper than their older tube style)

I think it's a great bumper, but what gets me is the weight factor. He did make a good point, though: my hitch on there now weighs 40lbs, so I'd only be gaining the weight of the bumper (85lbs) overall. If I do order one I'll be getting the swing out on the opposite side, which means it'll take them 3 weeks to manufacture. Hm, it's very tempting, especially for the price of a C4x4...

not bad looking but I wonder why the big gap between the bottom of the hatch and the top of the bumper?:wierd:

Back