• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End Noise

Muddy_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
91 XJ with 4.5 lift...

I hate to post asking about weird noises but this one has me stumped. It’s a loud squeaking/shrieking noise coming from the driver’s side knuckle area. It happens when I first turn left or right from center, then again near the end of the cycle. I put it up on jack stands but I heard nothing with the engine off or on, I only hear it when it’s on the ground with tires. Any ideas? The front end is greased regularly...

Muddy_XJ said:
91 XJ with 4.5 lift...

I hate to post asking about weird noises but this one has me stumped. It’s a loud squeaking/shrieking noise coming from the driver’s side knuckle area. It happens when I first turn left or right from center, then again near the end of the cycle. I put it up on jack stands but I heard nothing with the engine off or on, I only hear it when it’s on the ground with tires. Any ideas? The front end is greased regularly...
axle u-joint, unit bearings? A little more info- mileage, replaced parts ect..

I'm familiar with the trac bar noise and it's definetly not that. Everything is tight in that area, the u joint was fine when I changed shafts a few months back, and I believe the unit bearing is the original with 160K on it.

How do you tell if either are bad?

Muddy_XJ said:
I'm familiar with the trac bar noise and it's definetly not that. Everything is tight in that area, the u joint was fine when I changed shafts a few months back, and I believe the unit bearing is the original with 160K on it.

How do you tell if either are bad?
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. With 160k on those unit bearings I woulndn't be suprised if they were bad. I would lift up one side at a time, grab the wheel and wiggle it from top to bottom. You may notice some slop, if you do replace the unit bearings.

Back