• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tera 4:1 issues

jeepme

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Just put a tera low in my XJ and it will not go into 2 wheel hi. I ve torn this thing down 4 times and rebiult it following the FSM and it still will not shift into 2 wheel drive. All 4wd and nuetral positions work fine anybody have a similar problem or have any ideas. Tera's tech help was no help at all.

try shifting it outside of the jeep, with a cresent wrench, you may not have your linkage correct.

BRIANHO13 said:
try shifting it outside of the jeep, with a crescent wrench, you may not have your linkage correct.

Yep Chances are it's your linkage not adjusted correctly. You are rolling while trying to shift as well right? Always bench test it before bolting it up

Rob

I had the same problem from bending the shifter set up under the jeep from taking the tc out. If thats not it, i would check to make sure all the shift forks are right inside the tc.

ya first thing I thought of the the linkage. I disconnected it and shifted it by hand ( and with a wrench) still no 2WD. Also ran it without the drive shafts hooked up and went through all the gears still with no 2WD. I been told that some odd ball XJ's you have to cut 1/4" off of the tera input shaft but figured if that was the case it wouldnt have bolted up to the tranny.

Have you made sure the shift arm that connects to the Tcase is pointing the right way? 1st time I installed mine, I had it upside down, & was driving me crazy. If you've checked all that, Something has to be wrong with the shift selector installation, or of shift fork inside the case, because the 4:1 has nothing to do with the drive selection.

Rob

I will check that but I think it only fits 2 ways either pionting down or up. Mine is pointing down. I ve also been told that in some cases you have to cut 1/8" off of the shift rail to get 2WD so I might try that.

jeepme said:
I will check that but I think it only fits 2 ways either pointing down or up. Mine is pointing down. I ve also been told that in some cases you have to cut 1/8" off of the shift rail to get 2WD so I might try that.

That's the problem. It should be pointed up. If you look very closely at the shift arm, when it points down, it dosen't quit seat properly(at least mine didn't) & that's how I figured mine out at the time. You should never have to cut the linkage, it is essentially the same as a stock 231, even if you have the 2low kit. Though you will need to adjust the linkage, but never cut it.

Rob

Last edited:
If you didn't cut the end of the shift rail, the the reason. I have had to do that on every sye i have done.

ipkyss said:
If you didn't cut the end of the shift rail, the the reason. I have had to do that on every sye i have done.

Ive had my SYE on for about 6 years and never cut the shift rail with no problems. This started when I installed the 4:1 and I am using the same SYE.

FELIX said:
That's the problem. It should be pointed up. If you look very closely at the shift arm, when it points down, it dosen't quit seat properly(at least mine didn't) & that's how I figured mine out at the time. You should never have to cut the linkage, it is essentially the same as a stock 231, even if you have the 2low kit. Though you will need to adjust the linkage, but never cut it.

Rob

Ok so your saying that the shift arm that is bolted to the side of the t case should be pionting up which would make the hole that the shift rod presses into, at the top of the t case.?

jeepme said:
Ok so your saying that the shift arm that is bolted to the side of the t case should be pionting up which would make the hole that the shift rod presses into, at the top of the t case.?

You got it. It doesn't look like it should be,& that's what drove me nuts. As you know, it is keyed diagonal, so you flip it over & turn it up, & it should solve the problem. Might still have to adjust the slide on the linkage, but it'll work. I just pulled my case out the other day & took special note that it points up, in case my buyer runs into the same trouble.

FELIX said:
You got it. It doesn't look like it should be,& that's what drove me nuts. As you know, it is keyed diagonal, so you flip it over & turn it up, & it should solve the problem. Might still have to adjust the slide on the linkage, but it'll work. I just pulled my case out the other day & took special note that it points up, in case my buyer runs into the same trouble.

Ok I am going home right now and will give it a try tonight!! and if this works I owe you a beer!!!!! Thanks very much for the help!!

Back