• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front DS strength

g0dz1ll4

NAXJA Forum User
Hello -

I've been reading up on hack n tap SYE installations and was planning to do one soon but a conversation I had with a local 4x4 shop guy has me rethinking my course of action. While talking to him, he informed me that he's never heard of someone using a front DS with a H&T, and that they usually have driveshafts made by a local shop (for about $370). I guess my question is - has anyone here ever heard of a front DS breaking while being used as a rear DS? I won't be doing anything too abusive (relatively speaking) in the Jeep - that's what my MTB is for - but I will definitely be four wheeling it and want to insure that I'm making the best choice under the circumstances.

He also mentioned something about H&Ts causing excess vibration in the T case and destroying it, but it sounded like this might have been caused by a crooked "hack" of the tailshaft, and could be avoided if one was cautious and knew what they were doing.

Sorry for yet another SYE thread - but I haven't found this topic addressed specifically. Thanks for any info.

I feel like being helpful -

Meet Dirk Pitt's Green XJ -
img_4679.jpg

PORC HD SYE (this is worth the extra $60 over a H&T) and a STOCK front DS in the rear...

no failure yet...

here is your SYE -
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?products_id=82&osCsid=b03feeb003f8c1efc85b9fdad459e2b4

if you have a 242 the porc sye won't work, and you'll have to use a hack n' tap kit. if you have a 231 you'll be fine.

From what I have seen there are 2 types of driveshafts, a skinny one and a thicker one. Thats what I"ll be using in the rear of mine. By the way. Porc sells custom made CV Driveshafts for $270 shipped to your door. if you think about it it'll cost you $50-$100 for a used driveshaft shipped to you and then you gotta pay another $100-$150 to have it adjusted and balanced. so you're only savin around $70 and you're still stuck with old ujoints..... Just somethin to think about, the new driveshaft might be worth it. I bought the old driveshaft just for a backup

Back