• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to replace or repair spoiled cross bars

schmiedel

NAXJA Forum User
My 1988 Pioneer had two cressbars which seem very stable, but the ends (or bases) are made of plastic, which has now broken. I have two ways to solve this.

1. Try to repair my cross bars
2. Get some new ones

What would you do? The ones I have seem very strong, but the two ends that hold them to the rail are made of plastic, if I replace them, what could I use to get a strong link to hold a roof-rack with a spare tire?

If I buy new ones, is it really necessary? Can¡t I adapt something to my roof-rack to adapt it to the current rails?

And as a last question, what can hold more weight, the rails for roof racks or the rain gutters? I've heard people mounting 200lbs on the gutters, while the rails are rated 80-100lbs. Is that right?

Regards... Martin Schmiedel

I wouldnt bother fixing them. Get some used ones from the wrecker if you like, but I wouldn't waste any money on them. I find that the stock rails are flimsy as hell. You'd be better off getting some aftermarket roof rack rails that mount to the gutters. Or you could make them yourself if you have access to a welder. I made a set. It was not hard at all. There is all kinds of pictures on the net of guttermounts to give you some ideas

Back