• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump

herreraxto

NAXJA Forum User
I am having some problems whit the fuel pump (I think) when the tank is about ¼ the xj starts like it wants to turn off and if I try to give it some gas it wont respond then I just put some gas and start again whit no problems at all, but today notice when it was at ½ started to acting up like it wants to turn off, my question is it the fuel pump or it could be something else TIA for any help

injected or carb'd? waht year model, give us some specs on your rig. have you ever had to replace anyting in the fuel delivery system before? if so, when?

When you say "it wants to turn off", does the engine begin to splutter? If so, that would indicate a fuel delivery problem with the fuel pump the most likely culprit. Does the fuel pump make more noise than usual?

herreraxto said:
i will try it to change the filters if thats not problem i have to change the fuel pump

Seems like if you have to drop the tank to access the filter / fuel pump, it might be worth your while to simply replace it all at once if you have a lot of mileage on it.... Think of it as preventative maintenance because the fuel pump will fail eventually...

Back