• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homemade shovel and axe mount

Jeepzter29

NAXJA Forum User
Any of you try making your own shovel and axe mount for your roof racks? Im trying to think of how to weld or make one but have no ideas. Ive tried searching but no luck.Pictures and ideas would be nice.THANKS!

-Travis

I took a shovel with a longer, striaght, wooden handle and drilled a quarter inch hole in 2 places. I drilled holes in my the side of my Surco and simply mounted it there. I put some stain on or sealant on the area I drilled into the handle. I think I paid 19 bones for the shovel so if it were to break a year or two down the road I guess I get another.
I found a nice little Fiskars axe at Home Depot for 29 bucks. It has a plastic case for the blade. I got a gun rack that adheres to the glass with double stick tape. It's mounted on the inside rear most glass (pass. side). Fits perfectly. It's sturdy enough that it doesn't go anywhere. Obviously this is not somethign that I would have in the vehicle if I were going to be serious off-roading but that's yet to be an issue. It'll be great for camping. I intended to take pics of some of the stuff I've done to the Jeep the past weeks. Now that my hard drive is fixed I'll take pics soon.

I used a fiberglass "D" handle shovel and mounted using a drawer pull on the blade end and a conduit clamp over the handle on the other end. been up there now for over 5 years and made lots of on and offroad trips and never even come close to losing it.

For the ax i just drilled 2 holes through the fiberglass handle and slid them over studs and secured them with wingnuts. One note here though try and use stainless steel as much as possible and maybe a little anti-seize, it lets you take stuff off without having to break out the grinder, don't ask me how i know.

I can get pics later if you want to see.

Dingo

Back