• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap High lift "farm" jack

MrShaft696

NAXJA Forum User
high lifts are used in the worst situations possible and i want mine to work whenever i need it to. i'll spend extra and get a tried and true product rather than some cheep knockoff. harborfreight is alright for some things but not others i buy hammers and punches and cutoff wheels along with other "disposable" tools. i try to stay away from buying anythign with moving parts from them.

You want to buy a "High Lift" jack, Look around, you should be able to find one for around 45 bucks.

bj-666 said:
high lifts are used in the worst situations possible and i want mine to work whenever i need it to.

X2....sorrta...

Theres alot of moving parts and mechanical crap that can fail/bind or just be a pain in the ass on a hi-lift too.

But seriously, hi-lift is a good brand and has been proven time and time again to perform as advertized and beyond....why not just spend the extra few bucks and get something you know is going to work right.

Harbor freights quality control is spotty at best....not to say their jack wouldnt work, but why risk it on such a critical item? Shop around, hi-lifts are cheap when you get em on sale....i got mine a few weeks ago, brand new for 39.99 for the 48" model.

I tacked that jack on a HF order (for $30). I've used it a little. It works very smoothly, and I have no complaints so far. I figured it would be hard to find a hi-lift for under $50 shipped. Is the HF one "as good"? Probably not. Is it "good enough"? Probably for me.

good to hear honest opinions i have used many of harbor freights tools and they are so so quality so I am aware of that, I usually just get stuff that i am only going to use a few times and dont wanna drop tons of cash. I broke thier 20dollar sawzall in like 10 mins onece

I have both the H.F. jack and a real Hi Lift, and I actually prefer using the H.F. one. It seems much more stable than the "real" one. I do trust the actual Hi-Lift brand more, but it just seems so wobbly in comparison. I keep the H.F. one on mounts on my rear bumper at all times and only take the Hi-Lift brand one when I go off road (I also use it around the shop once in a while).

MrShaft696 said:
FYI http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=6530

pretty reasonably priced, let me know if anyone has used this one or if they think its decent

I have never had a problem with the two I bought (one for each Jeep). They are invaluable off-road. My only gripe is that the handle is welded on so you can't use it as a pursuader :D Action is smooth as any Hi-Lift branded jack I have used. For the price, you can't beat it.

Keep your eyes open at Tractor Supply, Farm & Fleet and the other farm stores. You'll get a 48" Hi-Lift for $40 or under.

I've got a 48" Farm Jack in my rig, been using it for 6 years with no complaints. Keep it oiled and clean (just like any other jack) and it'll be fine.

dynamite44 said:
something as important as a jack, i don't skimp. if it breaks/slips, you can die if you're under it.
I agree with you on this; however, I won't get under anything held up solely by a farm jack--regardless of the brand.

I broke my HF Farm jack, rebuild it using 'high lift' brand parts (alot of work) and broke it again. Now it sits in my pickup that never see's dirt anymore, and i carry a high-lift brand.
-c

Back