• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crazy front axle idea

carnuck

NAXJA Forum User
Don't laugh too hard when you read this. My idea is to take a Mopar 1/2 ton unit bearing D44 front axle and fit it under my Comanche (make a nice match for the Model 20 rear I'm putting in)
Sound insane or what?

carnuck said:
Don't laugh too hard when you read this. My idea is to take a Mopar 1/2 ton unit bearing D44 front axle and fit it under my Comanche (make a nice match for the Model 20 rear I'm putting in)
Sound insane or what?
You're insane.
That's just wicked crazy.....
You won't do it.
I don't even know why you brought it up.......

:gag:

They used 5 on 4.5" non-vacuum with locking hubs for only a couple years. For some reason they didn't do well on the full size rigs.

I also have 2 Model 20s with different bolt patterns. One is CJ5 with 5 on 5.5" and the other is Grand Wagoneer with 6 on 5.5" and hopefully I will find a Comanche M20 soon. (Not sure how much longer the D35 will last. I have a spare, but no place to run my welder to beef it up)

You'd have an easier time finding a MJ D44 than a M20.

You should be staked and we should never speak of this again.

carnuck said:
They used 5 on 4.5" non-vacuum with locking hubs for only a couple years. For some reason they didn't do well on the full size rigs.

Dodge never used the 4.5" bolt pattern with locking hubs at the same time. '75-'79 they used a 4.5 on 5 pattern with unit bearings. From 1980 on all Dodge 1/2ton D44s used the 5 on 5 pattern. All were right hand drop untill the end of 1993.

I believe he is refering to the '94 and up Dodge D44s that are left hand drop, coil sprung, and unit bearings(no locking hubs)

carnuck said:
I also have 2 Model 20s with different bolt patterns. One is CJ5 with 5 on 5.5" and the other is Grand Wagoneer with 6 on 5.5" and hopefully I will find a Comanche M20 soon. (Not sure how much longer the D35 will last. I have a spare, but no place to run my welder to beef it up)

DOH! I forgot that CJs had AMC20s.

Back