• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

die on incline

jayuu

NAXJA Forum User
ok so after work today me and my buddy decided to drive up a huge dirt pile. i went first and i got about half way up and was just spinning so i reversed out. then i went a little faster in 2nd and right near the top i got too light on the gas and stalled. eek. tried to start it and it wouldnt. i rolled down backwards and it would start and turn over for a few second then die. it did this about fifteen times. then it started like nothing was wrong. so i went up again and got to the peak and right when i was over the point it died again. cranked it about 15 times and it started again and i drove down and all was good.

any idea whats happening? is the fuel pump in the front of the tank? i had half of a tank.

btw 93 4.0 ax15 xj.

p.s. then i had to pull him off when he got stuck on his frame. chevy z71 with bl and 33s.

Saw an angled carb spacer around here somewhere for that to. Supposed to help the carb maintain a useable angle on steep inclines. Dont know anything about it though other than the manufs. 'claim' that it works.

its fuel injected no carb. and at what approximate angle will the tilt meter shut it off? and why would i have to keep turing the key on and off so many times? and over a half tank of gas.

jayuu said:
ok so after work today me and my buddy decided to drive up a huge dirt pile. i went first and i got about half way up and was just spinning so i reversed out. then i went a little faster in 2nd and right near the top i got too light on the gas and stalled. eek. tried to start it and it wouldnt. any idea whats happening? is the fuel pump in the front of the tank? i had half of a tank.

btw 93 4.0 ax15 xj.

Sure it said 1/2 tank, but what was really in it? Cherokee's has a RC about guages not reading true. I know I don't trust mine. Also, If the vehicle has been off-roaded without a tank skid, the area the pickup sits in may be higher than it was from the factory, causing it to suck air sooner.

The pump pickup sits in a tray at the front of the tank.

If I stall my '96 (w/ AX15) it is tough to start. I just assumed it flooded because if I hold the accerator to the floor it will crank a few seconds then starts and runs fine.

Back